Stingray exports from Brazil

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Been out of the ray hobby for a couple of years. Read recently that Brazil has relaxed restrictions on the exportation of aquarium species. Are any rays being exported out of Brazil now?

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I have heard this as well. We made an order for some more snow leopards, but it was delayed for many months and then basically swept under the rug like nothing ever happened.

lots of different rumours flying around but I have not seen with my own eyes anything actually coming out. Lots of pictures but talk is cheap imo. Perhaps it was because of the rarity of the particular ones I was after, but who knows.

I’m curious to hear if anyone else has had any success in landing anything out of Brazil?

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I have not.

As of 2017, all species in one way or another, are restricted or banned for export, including some rather common stuff in the hobby (pearls (banned) and motoros (restricted) to name a few).

I have a document from CITIES I am trying to figure out how to attach but it isn't allowing me to do so.

Basically in summary, the species that are allowed for export have a size limit the rays have to be under (30cm) and are limited to a certain quantity per year as allowed by the Brazilian Government.

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I have not.

As of 2017, all species in one way or another, are restricted or banned for export, including some rather common stuff in the hobby (pearls (banned) and motoros (restricted) to name a few).

I have a document from CITIES I am trying to figure out how to attach but it isn't allowing me to do so.

Basically in summary, the species that are allowed for export have a size limit the rays have to be under (30cm) and are limited to a certain quantity per year as allowed by the Brazilian Government.
This is the most updated version of export rules I've heard and haven't seen anything else otherwise. Most of the stuff exported from Brazil usually doesn't make it to North America and is bought by buyers in Europe and Asia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store