Stingray poo, is it normal?

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Often mess kill off the bacteria in the filter and can throw out test kits, I would change the food and see if the poops change, my Ray's poop like that when fed a lot of worms, it looks normal to me.

I don not see why a parasite would make the poop massively different unless passing some parasite too. I suspect it is normal and agree that if feeding they are prob fine.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
It's the intestinal lining that you see I think. It's could be from parasite but also upset stomach and a whole whack of things can contribute to that. I am currently using nls hex shield on my gt and I don't see any reason not to do a round of treatment to rule out parasites

Reactions: eddiegunks

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
I would not worry. This happens time and again with mine depending on what I feed them and never had any issues. As someone said, give a few days and don't complicate things.

Maybe feed some pellets as when mine are on pellets they poo more big brown curlers, so may help them flush it out. Whereas when on seafood mine sometimes looks like this.

However if after a few days no change then maybe consider mess if your worried.

Reactions: Matteus

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
According to Dr. Richmond Loh fish veterinarian, the white poo is the fish equivalent of diarrhea. This is often cause by parasites, infection and illness but can sometimes be attributed to stress, improper digestion of foods, or other non-disease factors. It was mentioned earlier it's the mucus lining of the intestines. The mucus is important as it helps lubricate the feces to pass easier, at times the mucus lining sheds.

I find these poos in tanks with rays that haven't had health problems and aren't infected/infested. I usually don't worry unless the poos are very consistent with this appearance, or present with other symptoms like: lethargy, wasting, lack of appetite, constant heavy breathing, always staying buried, etc.

I know one commenter other than the OP mentioned their rays have this also AND they just lost a ray, that person should have some concern and investigate further. But the OP doesn't sound like there is much going on other than one white, stringy poo. Not enough to go red alert at this point IMO unless there are other symptoms present.

Good luck

Last edited:

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
I disagree. If they are still eating and poops are funny it could be the start of an issue. Often times fish have internal parasites but their system is strong enough to keep it in check and not have their gut ruined.

But any sort of stress can trigger weakness and the parasite can they take over. The fish is eating, go for some.medicated food or presoaked food and see if that helps. If you choose to do nothing, it may allow time for the parasite to continue to take over and the fish eventually stops eating and you will have a hell of a time resolving the problem.

Don't go nuts with meds but nls hex shield sounds like it may be a good option.
I will stop feeding them superworm for the mean time and only feed them pre soaked MP and squid and see how it goes.. i soak the mp and squid with seachem garlic.. i kinda suspect the superworm caused it

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
According to Dr. Richmond Loh fish veterinarian, the white poo is the fish equivalent of diarrhea. This is often cause by parasites, infection and illness but can sometimes be attributed to stress, improper digestion of foods, or other non-disease factors. It was mentioned earlier it's the mucus lining of the intestines. The mucus is important as it helps lubricate the feces to pass easier, at times the mucus lining sheds.

I find these poos in tanks with rays that haven't had health problems and aren't infected/infested. I usually don't worry unless the poos are very consistent with this appearance, or present with other symptoms like: lethargy, wasting, lack of appetite, constant heavy breathing, always staying buried, etc.

I know one commenter other than the OP mentioned their rays have this also AND they just lost a ray, that person should have some concern and investigate further. But the OP doesn't sound like there is much going on other than one white, stringy poo. Not enough to go red alert at this point IMO unless there are other symptoms present.

Good luck
thanks alot for the info.. i will monitor closely and see if the poo appears more consistently or not..

So far every feeding time they all doin good.. i always say it to my self " a healthy ray is a hungry ray" , but the discovery of the white poo is kinda concerned me

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
These videos are taken just right now

They look fine to me, i dont know what do you think?

Them before food

And them eating the food

Reactions: eddiegunks

Predator07

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2018
Orlando,FL

Good luck
Is this something I should worry about?
He seem fine and has apetite and has been in the tank for about month

20201003_162705.jpg

20201003_162636.jpg

20201003_162532.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store