Stingray proof decorations

Aruzar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2017
Hi
I am having some issues regarding my new addition, an eight inch across male motoro stingray. He is being harassed by my red tail catfish. My catfish is for lack of a better term, overly affectionate. Likes to dog pile with all the fish that live on the bottom but the ray isn't having it. And being new to Ray's and still failing to have this one feed I need to create a space for the ray to hide we're the red tail can't get to it. It's a tiled tank with a potted plant on either end to allow open swimming for the other fish. Help!!!!!

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Hi
I am having some issues regarding my new addition, an eight inch across male motoro stingray. He is being harassed by my red tail catfish. My catfish is for lack of a better term, overly affectionate. Likes to dog pile with all the fish that live on the bottom but the ray isn't having it. And being new to Ray's and still failing to have this one feed I need to create a space for the ray to hide we're the red tail can't get to it. It's a tiled tank with a potted plant on either end to allow open swimming for the other fish. Help!!!!!
Move the cat.

Cats will always eat.....rays, maybe not so easy to get eating.

Move one or the other asap.

How long have you had the ray? Was he eating before? I am new to rays as well. My 1st one died. The current 3 are all gtg.

Dose with prazi. It is like weed for rays. Gives em the munchies. Black works and earthworms/red works usually get em eating.

Reactions: tlindsey

Aruzar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2017
Prazi pro? I cannot move the catfish unfortunately. No where to put it. I built a box out out of lighting defuser for the stingray to retreat to and no other fish can enter it. Put some chopped earthworms in there for him if he wanted it. I think he may have eaten a chunk but not sure. He goes into it though but now actively goes away from it exploring. I covered the top with rocks and plastic plants to make it prettier and darker for him.

Aruzar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2017
Tank is a grow out. Seven foot long two foot wide and 3 foot tall. Catfish is 17-19 inches estimating.

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
So I'm relatively new to rays however, I know allot.

I currently have a marble motoro. What type of catfish first?

My suggestion based off of my experience is take the catfish out of the tank (in a bucket).

Rearrange the tank. Here's a old picture of my 55 gallon before I jumped to the 120.

I still have the basic setup. I leave the middle all open for the Ray but on the corners (in the new tank I chose 2 corners that it) have some hiding spots for the other fish.

I will say, it probably will not be a permanent thing with the Ray in with other fish. Eventually I will be moving my motoro (Ella jr) in the 260 gallon. She will be in with a gar or silver arowana. But as far as bottom feeders, nothing.

Rays are definitely a fish that if they can get over another fish they will kill it in most cases.

Catfish are hard because of spikes and you don't want the catfish to hurt the Ray.

After you rearrange the tank, wait about 30 to 40 minutes. Put a bubbler in the bucket with the catfish. After a little time has gone but re introduce the catfish. It will automatically try to find a territory or it's own hiding place.

That might save you as far as short term.

Another thing I do it I always hand feed Ella jr. That way I know she's eating. If she doesn't eat say in the morning, I know something is wrong. Water changes are also fital. Hope that helps.

(Just for clarification, I'm no expert so please if someone thinks I'm wrong say something. I always want to know everyones opinion because it might help me out)

IMG_20180120_085806004.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store