STINGRAY SKIN PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Classic marks caused by physical damage from tank mates,probably happening at night. I would say some sort of rasping type species such as plecs or Prochilodus sp, once there's a sore area like that it becomes a constant target for the culprit.
Good luck!

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
aquaman45;4860860; said:
Classic marks caused by physical damage from tank mates,probably happening at night. I would say some sort of rasping type species such as plecs or Prochilodus sp, once there's a sore area like that it becomes a constant target for the culprit.
Good luck!

I think you are right
:)
which then stresses the ray so it won't eat

OMGFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2010
N/A
Well ...i have no idea but again u should reduce wc. Sometimes tho wen healed from a wound the wound is not full all the way. It could be that it has a internal wound.... most likely not tho. Those r very rare. Sorry

sneary53

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2010
Ohio
i agree with everyone... i would say this is a combo of all things.... pleco started messing with him... sucked off slime coat... then others or the same pleco kept pestering him stressing her out to make her not eat... leaving one more stressed and weak then the secondary infection has set in.... my opinion... remove all tankmates except other ray.... begin treatment for secondary infection... keep up water changes... keep trying to feed.... ghost shrimp maybe and KEEP LIGHTS OFF..... please pm me and let me know how everything is going...

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
OMGFISH;5028579; said:
Well ...i have no idea but again u should reduce wc. Sometimes tho wen healed from a wound the wound is not full all the way. It could be that it has a internal wound.... most likely not tho. Those r very rare. Sorry
please tell us why you think reducing the input of clean treated water into the tank would be a good idea? the cleaner the water, the faster the healing process will go because there will be less grime to cause more infection problems.

regardless, properly treated water (prime or aged and within temperature perameters) is never a bad thing for your fish.

that's like telling a human to stop breathing clean air and start re-breathing co2. /faceplam

titustitus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Singapore
any updates on how it is? and i dont suggest feeding ghost shrimps cos they may continue irritating the injury. ghost shrimps always pick around haha

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
titustitus;5039174; said:
any updates on how it is? and i dont suggest feeding ghost shrimps cos they may continue irritating the injury. ghost shrimps always pick around haha
/facepalm

have you ever seen ghost shrimp go after a ray?
they run scared stiff from them as soon as they notice them in the area because they know they're what's for dinner.

the only reason to not feed the ghost shrimp would be their lack of nutrition.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store