Stingray tank question

bigmikenyc

Feeder Fish
Jul 13, 2017
Hi,

Any thoughts on the following?
Can I use a shallow tank that is 48 inch in lengths, 18 inch wide and 12 inch high for a marbled Motoro Stingray?

Also, can someone advise on what other equipment i need in order to house one? I am very new to the game and any input for a beginner would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard ☺ Sorry but absolutely not and don't let anyone talk you into doing it. I personally want a Motoro ray and only have a 180 gallon aquarium which is 6×2×2 ft.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard ☺ Sorry but absolutely not and don't let anyone talk you into doing it. I personally want a Motoro ray and only have a 180 gallon aquarium which is 6×2×2 ft.

Use the search button and read some of the members threads that keep Freshwater Stingray. The smallest ray is Hystrix which is not a beginners Ray imo. The aquarium dimensions you stated is even to small for the Hystrix.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Here's a quick rundown on how I keep rays...large tank, mine has a footprint of 8 feet by nearly 4 feet, 2 feet deep. Sump filtration, I use 110 gallons worth of sump tank, 2100 gph pump. Several gallons of biological media...20? I think? Maybe 30. Heaters: in the sump, I use 2 500 watt heaters. Heaters cannot be in the tank. Rays WILL burn themselves. Lighting is not important. Feeding: I feed a ridiculous amount of cut tilapia, raw shrimp, and raw scallops twice per day. Water changes: constantly...I run a drip system and still do 50% waterchanges weekly. Tankmates: best to avoid them till you gain experience keeping rays. Water chemistry is not important. The only parameters to pay attention to are ammonia=0 nitrite=0 nitrate=low as possible temp=78to82 seems to work well for me

bigmikenyc

Feeder Fish
Jul 13, 2017
Here's a quick rundown on how I keep rays...large tank, mine has a footprint of 8 feet by nearly 4 feet, 2 feet deep. Sump filtration, I use 110 gallons worth of sump tank, 2100 gph pump. Several gallons of biological media...20? I think? Maybe 30. Heaters: in the sump, I use 2 500 watt heaters. Heaters cannot be in the tank. Rays WILL burn themselves. Lighting is not important. Feeding: I feed a ridiculous amount of cut tilapia, raw shrimp, and raw scallops twice per day. Water changes: constantly...I run a drip system and still do 50% waterchanges weekly. Tankmates: best to avoid them till you gain experience keeping rays. Water chemistry is not important. The only parameters to pay attention to are ammonia=0 nitrite=0 nitrate=low as possible temp=78to82 seems to work well for me
thanks for the information, this is extremely helpful. how would you check the ammonia and nitrate of the water? Also, how long do you cycle the tank before you put the rays in? Any info on how to cycle the tank? Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
thanks for the information, this is extremely helpful. how would you check the ammonia and nitrate of the water? Also, how long do you cycle the tank before you put the rays in? Any info on how to cycle the tank? Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Buy an API freshwater master test kit. Follow the directions carefully...especially for the nitrate test. There should be some good threads on fishless cycle in the general aquarium forum. It's a step you do not want to get wrong...rays are extremely sensitive to ammonia. Ammonia=dead rays

Reactions: tlindsey

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Welcome to mfk.
To be honest rays are not a fish for beginners.
I assume,as you are asking about how to cycle at tank and do water tests that you are fairly new to the hobby?
My advice would be try keeping some easier more forgiving and less expensive fish first.
Learn about the nitrogen cycle and water parameters.
Tank water can and should be tested long before any fish are added. It is also wise to test your water periodically or when your fish show any signs of stress.
There are many water test kits aimed at fishkeepers. They come with instructions and are simple to use.
Ammonia, nitrite,nitrate,ph and hardness should all be tested for.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store