stingray with turtles?

tyson

Stingray Master
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Tropical Island
arowanaclub.com
sixpack_ey;1006346; said:
The Dallas World Aquarium has a beautiful "flooded rainforest" display where leos and motoros live along side the yellow spotted amazon turtle. They've shared the same aquarium there for years. Has anyone tried this in their home? What about softshelled turtles?
You can keep the 2 together if you have a very very large tank. Places where the ray can hide.

At home; in a small environment, it is not recommended. Turtles are curious creatures and they will bit on the ray tails and disc.:(

Itaituba2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2004
The Netherlands
I'm a nono on Turtles but I've seen resently a Fly River turtle are these guys save to keep with rays or will the damage them? Will their be a problem with pups and this turtle. I'm curious about these animals they stole my heart in a few seconds.
Regards
Frank

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
few members here have had luck mixing them frank... and some others took the gamble and have horror stories to tell...it is recommended when mixxing tuse fish that are expendable... your rays are not expendable

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I used to keep that display. It's a nice pool, but it's plumbed into the croc pool: 17,000 gallons total. It's a lot bigger surface area than it looks, and we never had an issue with the rays and turtles getting along. I used to run matamatas in there with the yellow spots. We ran rays and turtles together in the main River tank as well (200,000 gallons). I'd never try it in a home aquarium, though.

As a side note, all of the Podocnemis turtles you are seeing in that pool are endangered. You can't own them as a private hobbiest at all (even if you try for paper work).

Reactions: jim barry

fishpets101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2020
hmm... dont know. i think it depends on each turtle as their personality is very different. for example i have a red eared slider with a oscar and common pleco but i know people's turtles who wiped out their entire tank. from my experience, soft shelled turtles have the best chance

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I kept a young soft shell for about 18 months with my rays and no issues, but started to worry when i read post like this. I sold the turtle. After the new owner had the turtle for around a month, the turtle killed his ray and his wolf fish in one go !!!!!
Glad i sold it. Not worth the risk.
Damn shame
I love turtles, but i love rays more

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
hmm... dont know. i think it depends on each turtle as their personality is very different. for example i have a red eared slider with a oscar and common pleco but i know people's turtles who wiped out their entire tank. from my experience, soft shelled turtles have the best chance
13 year old thread! I think we have a winner! Might be the oldest revival in history....?

Reactions: ozliosoma

Zues1725

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 15, 2021
Hey guy I’m thinking of buying a baby Chinese soft shell turtle and I have a baby bosemani stingray I hope they do great together or what do you think about that mix

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store