Stingray

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Kno4te.
When you say nitrates are a little high, what does that mean?
I consider a reading of 10 ppm high enough to to warrant a significant water change.
To hold my tanks nitrate at what I consider "healthy" levels for sensitive fish, I usually do daily 25% water changes, or if I'm slacking off, 40% every other day, in my 180gal connected (in line plumbing) with a 125 gal,
But with a tank as small as a 55, its harder to hold nitrate low, because the small volume of water quickly gets overwhelmed by metabolism byproducts, so the more water changes the better.

Os Aqualand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2021
Ohio
Agree with Kno4te.
I consider a reading of 10 ppm high enough to to warrant a significant water change.
To hold my tanks nitrate at what I consider "healthy" levels for sensitive fish, I usually do daily 25% water changes, or if I'm slacking off, 40% every other day, in my 180gal connected (in line plumbing) with a 125 gal,
But with a tank as small as a 55, its harder to hold nitrate low, because the small volume of water quickly gets overwhelmed by metabolism byproducts, so the more water changes the better.
My nitrates were over 80ppm but with the nitra zorb it’s now at 0 and I know it’s a small tank but I do have a 100 gallon canister filter on it plus 2 sponge filters, I will more than likely do a water change everyday

Os Aqualand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2021
Ohio
Agree with Kno4te.
She is still very active .. even after I made this post she was swimming all over the glass seeming to be very healthy she is just very puffy

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
My nitrates were over 80ppm but with the nitra zorb it’s now at 0 and I know it’s a small tank but I do have a 100 gallon canister filter on it plus 2 sponge filters, I will more than likely do a water change everyday
80ppm is very high. Better watch that more closely. A 55 is too small for any ray in my opinion. Like duanes said, that amount of water will overload very quickly. What does the bottom of the disk look like also? Hopefully not all scratched up? That gravel looks super coarse for a ray.

Os Aqualand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2021
Ohio
80ppm is very high. Better watch that more closely. A 55 is too small for any ray in my opinion. Like duanes said, that amount of water will overload very quickly. What does the bottom of the disk look like also? Hopefully not all scratched up? That gravel looks super coarse for a ray.
This literally just happened yesterday . I test the water every week and the bottom of her is completely fine no scratches or anything . A 55 is a foot wide and she is barley pushing 5 inches

Os Aqualand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2021
Ohio
This literally just happened yesterday . I test the water every week and the bottom of her is completely fine no scratches or anything . A 55 is a foot wide and she is barley pushing 5 inches
She is only gonna be in that tank for a short period of time that’s why it isn’t set up with sand for her it’s my demoseys tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store