Stingrays shedding coat ?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hey guys. Just got home from work and noticed all four rays showing signs of shedding their coat ? don't know if it is that or it is sand mixing with their slime coat and peeling off. never happened before and water is same as normal and temp and same sand for last two years. only thing different is i have added a small motoro about a month back and all been o.k until now. all rays different sizes and ages so don't think it is a coat shedding thing as i would have seen it before ? what do you think it can be ? all rays acting and eating normal.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I had this happen to me a few times when I was importing rays. Nothing negative happened to the rays after it happened, but I assume it could be cause for concern.

Check your water parameters, and think about adding salt if you don't already. It should help stimulate slime coat and help with a variety of other things.

Are you 100% positive your substrate is ray safe?

dodgers86

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2005
Dodgertown
The only time this has ever happened to me was when i changed to much of the water in the tank, did you do a massive water change or anything like that cause if you did they might have gotten a clorine burn, try using some (aquarium pharmaceuticals stress coat) it will go away within 2 days or so if thats the case.

Itaituba2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2004
The Netherlands
They do it every time I change water. It's a normal behaviour. Most of the time you only see it when you have very dusty sand ( the sand you don't want that sticks to te skin of the ray) or like mee when you se a special kind of water conditioner.
Regards
Frank

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
O.K thanks guys i feel a little better now. They look fine again this afternoon. The sand has been in the tank for 2 years and does stick to the rays a little but soon comes off when they have a shake and swim around. it has never bothered them before and this is the first time i have noticed the slime thing. I am still concerned that my new 5" motoro has parasites as she eats well (but only earthworms) but not not seem to be putting on any weight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store