Stock my 300 gallon discus tank :)

Ryan1783

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
I have a 300 gallon tank that I am going to stock a discus tank with, got rid of all my large cichlids and wanted to give this a try. What would you stock it with? I have kept discus before, but it’s been a long while since I’ve set up a community tank. I want multiple type of fish in here. There is 7-8x turn over in the tank, so lots of filteration going on in the sump. So what would you stock this with and how many of each ???

Preacher

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
west tennessee
I have discus with clown loaches, gold nugget pleco, green phantom pleco, a variety of Cory catfishes, some shrimp, and plants. I would definitely give Hans a call or look him up on Facebook. I tried ordering from another site and was very disappointed. I wish I would’ve used Hans and will next time! You will get better quality fish!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Well besides discus I would add: 1 pair of goyder river rainbowfish, 1 pair of red rainbowfish, a small school of threadfin rainbowfish, 1 firekoi angelfish,kuhli loach,clown loach, roselines

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Lot depends on the size of the Discus you plan to buy.

If you are buying fully grown Discus, I'd look into adding a shoal of Denisoni Barbs(Redline Barbs) as well as Bosemani Rainbowfish. A shoal of Corry cats are a must as they look fantastic in a Discus tank and you could add a few Geophagus & Clown loaches who go well with Discus. Congos and emperor tetras are also fantastic additions.

The other option if your getting smaller discus is stocking with various types of tetras and rasboras, though the Discus may eat them once they are fully grown. Its what I have done. Plan to switch over to Denisoni and Rainbowfish when they are fully grown.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Hardscape tank - just pool filter sand and manzanita.

A group of wild discus would look great, depending on your water conditions. Or wild-type domestics could be an option. Uncle Sam's discus in CA, brings in some nice ones.

I'd stick with all South Am tankmates though that can tolerate discus temps. Cories and tetras would be my choice.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
I was thinking about adding geophagus with discus in a 180 gallon tank, but after seeing how my 8 geophagus ate so robustly and quickly, I would never consider that again. Discus are timid, slow eaters, there is no way they can compete with geophagus for food. I would like to see a group of discus that has been in a tank with a group of geophagus after a year... my guess would be that they are stunted from not getting adequate nutrition.

Also, while I have seen people often recommend clown loaches with discus, they did not work with my discus. I tried. The clown loaches cornered and chased my discus, harassed them. Not sure if they are attracted to the thick mucus that the discus exude or just bullying, but, regardless, I will certainly not be doing that again.

These are the fish that I have successfully kept with discus, the list is short because of the nature of discus: their slow eating and passive nature, the high temperatures required, and the need to find fish not attracted to their mucus layer.
*Rummy-nose tetras ( a school of 100) ( excellent choice if want tight schooler.).
or
*Cardinal tetra ( a school of 100)
Have you ever seen a sight of this many small tetras schooling together- like birds in the sky- it is beautiful.

This is the only two tetras I would recommend. The bigger tetras like Congo's and Denisoni will eat too vigorously at top of water. You will be constantly trying to make sure your discus get enough food. Discus are hard enough, why add fish that make feeding more difficult.

Most corydoras species cannot take the higher temperatures, but these can: Corydoras duplicareous, adolpho, davidsandi, sterbei, agassizi, and weitzmani.

Plecos:
Ancistrus sp., Hemiancistrus sp., and (some) L. numbered plecos that can take high tempetratures. But, all Plecos need to be monitored to ensure not attracted to discus mucus.

I have heard that angels go well with discus, especially Altums. That could also be a fish that would be worth trying as many have had good results.

Thats it ---like I said, the list is short.

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Discus are timid, slow eaters, there is no way they can compete with geophagus for food.
That isn't my experience with Discus. Mine are voracious eaters and could compete with anyone for food and I have had monster fish before getting Discus, so I know about voracious eaters.

My recommendations would be getting a couple of geo's once the Discus are fully grown. Their constant digging, should help reduce the chances of nitrogen pockets in the sand.

I have tried a shoal of Cardinals, still have them but they were/are disappointments. Not visible from far, so have to go closer to see them and they already look tiny compared to my discus, who are nowhere close to fully grown.

I have emperor tetras with my Discus and they have to rely on the scraps the Discus leave behind, I would have no fear adding Congos or Denisoni to my tank.
My discus sit at the main table and everyone else is left to pick through the scraps left behind by them, when they rip apart the frozen beefheart.

The clown loaches cornered and chased my discus, harassed them. Not sure if they are attracted to the thick mucus that the discus exude or just bullying, but, regardless, I will certainly not be doing that again.
Interesting. Haven't heard that before and seen plenty of Discus + clown loach tanks. Though I guess that is always possible, given other people have had issues with suckers amongst other bottom feeders going after the discus slime coats.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
That isn't my experience with Discus. Mine are voracious eaters and could compete with anyone for food and I have had monster fish before getting Discus, so I know about voracious eaters.
Dont take it just on my judgement alone, although I have raised discus for 17 years. But what do I know.
Go ask about discus and geophagus on Simply Discus--- you will get the same answer.
I have emperor tetras with my Discus and they have to rely on the scraps the Discus leave behind, I would have no fear adding Congos or Denisoni to my tank.
My discus sit at the main table and everyone else is left to pick through the scraps left behind by them, when they rip apart the frozen beefheart.
Again, this is not of my own judgement and experience alone. You might ask about this too.
How long have you been keeping discus?

Never mind about that last question--- about a month of experience keeping discus.

Last edited:

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
Dont take it just on my judgement alone, although I have raised discus for 17 years. But what do I know.
Go ask about discus and geophagus on Simply Discus--- you will get the same answer.
Never stated that what I said is gospel, I just stated my experience and how MY discus aren't timid or slow.
You may have noticed I never stated anything about your discus as they may very well be a weak variant and hence timid and slow.

Never mind about that last question--- about a month ofexperience keeping discus.
Ah the "I have kept something for longer than you defense". Yeah its not like the old guys were never wrong. I mean the earth is still flat right, not like any old beliefs turned out to be incorrect, right?

Its simple really, there are many people who keep Geo's with Discus, but off course a guy who never kept Discus with Geos for 17 years proclaims himself an expert in something he never did.

Yes your definitely an expert of not keeping them together. Maybe an expert of the Geos with Discus guessing game, but not an expert of actually keeping the fish together. On the flip side I have friends who keep them together, so do multiple LFS and they have no issues with that combo and its a combo I plan to keep, so I have done a lot of research into.

And I am on Simply Discus and even there you have some of the old guys, like you, who swear they can't be kept together, while many of the younger Discus keepers state they do keep them together, so there is no consensus, even there.

Lastly when you stated that your "experience" with clown loaches with Discus, I accepted it and didn't try to belittle your actual experience, despite the fact that so many Discus guides will proclaim that Clown loaches and Discus are a good combo and all of us have seen them together.
The reason is that I am an experienced fish hobbyist, who knows that fish combos often depend on the personality of the fish you have. Maybe you can try doing the same.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
You may have noticed I never stated anything about your discus as they may very well be a weak variant and hence timid and slow.
Lol! Thats rich now isnt it.
Ah the "I have kept something for longer than you defense". Yeah its not like the old guys were never wrong. I mean the earth is still flat right, not like any old beliefs turned out to be incorrect, right?
Is there logic in here somewhere? A fallacious argument never makes a strong defense. You can do better, Im sure .
Its simple really, there are many people who keep Geo's with Discus, but off course a guy who never kept Discus with Geos for 17 years proclaims himself an expert in something he never did.
First off, not a guy- assumptions- you know what they say about that one. I wouldnt keep discus ( yes, after raising them for 17 years) with geophagus ( 1 year) after having them both- you find them an excellent combination ( after having discus for a month). Let the OP decide which way he wants to go.
Yes your definitely an expert of not keeping them together. Maybe an expert of the Geos with Discus guessing game, but not an expert of actually keeping the fish together. On the flip side I have friends who keep them together, so do multiple LFS and they have no issues with that combo and its a combo I plan to keep, so I have done a lot of research into.
My, my we are defensive. Dont like people to contradict you do you. Go take your findings up on Simply Discus, Im on their as well, Id like to see what your research on the excellence of geophagus with discus looks like on that forum.
And I am on Simply Discus and even there you have some of the old guys, like you, who swear they can't be kept together, while many of the younger Discus keepers state they do keep them together, so there is no consensus, even there.
Um... yes, I know Ive seen your posts. Dont seem to question "the old guys" there."
Lastly when you stated that your "experience" with clown loaches with Discus, I accepted it and didn't try to belittle your actual experience, despite the fact that so many Discus guides will proclaim that Clown loaches and Discus are a good combo and all of us have seen them together.
I included my experience just like you did. Thats whats so great about the internet-- we all get our right to opinion. Cheers :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store