Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Reactions: Jeditaz

Jeditaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I should have said water, not air. There are plants that can live with roots dangling in the air - they are called epiphytes - but are somewhat irrelevant to this thread.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyte
Those sound really cool! I see plants in my lfs but before today I never thought about putting them in my filter! I kinda thought the leaves would need to be underwater to release oxygen in the water

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Those sound really cool! I see plants in my lfs but before today I never thought about putting them in my filter! I kinda thought the leaves would need to be underwater to release oxygen in the water
Sorry for being misleading. There are different types of plants, just like there are different types of animals, and just like animals, plants need appropriate care for te type of plant that they are. The plants I use are terrestrial plants that can handle having their roots constantly submerged. The plants in your lfs should be either aquatic, or semi-aquatic plants, that probably need to at least be partially submerged. The plants I am using do not add oxygen to the water, as their leaves are not in the water, however, for the same reason, they can get their co2 from the air and therefore grow much faster and use up much more nitrate than submerged plants would.

Reactions: Jeditaz

Jeditaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for being misleading. There are different types of plants, just like there are different types of animals, and just like animals, plants need appropriate care for te type of plant that they are. The plants I use are terrestrial plants that can handle having their roots constantly submerged. The plants in your lfs should be either aquatic, or semi-aquatic plants, that probably need to at least be partially submerged. The plants I am using do not add oxygen to the water, as their leaves are not in the water, however, for the same reason, they can get their co2 from the air and therefore grow much faster and use up much more nitrate than submerged plants would.
You did fine and weren't misleading. I am just still very much a "noob" to all of this so I don't know the difference of things that should be obvious. Do the roots in the sponge of your plant do the work of filtering out the CO2 then oxygen gets released into the air? If so that is pretty genius!

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
First I wouldn't trust the lfs, they are there to make money, so of course you can buy 6 fish. When those die you can come back and buy 6 more. A 30" tank doesn't allow much when it comes to lake Malawi cichlids, I've seen people do small group of saulosi or yellow labs. Lake tang offers a few more options.
Plus one...I would rehome the fish you have bought so far. And while you have them, I would skip the bloodworms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store