Stocking a 220g Tank & Fish ID

F3d4ykin

Feeder Fish
Mar 14, 2019
We are looking for advice on how many and what type of cichlids to add to a new tank as well as help IDing a cichlid.

The tank is a 6ft 220 gallon aquarium with a overflow hooked up to a 200 gal sunsun canister filter and two 100 gal sun sun filters that are attached over the side. The tank is heavily rocked with about 75 gals of live rock and few fake plants as well as a few live moss balls. We are currently cycling the tank and have no fish inside of it.

We run a sanctuary out of our home and have recently gotten an unknown cichlid from an owner that was no longer able to care for it. It is about 5 inches long and has been living in a 40 gal tank with a bichir for most of its life. We are not sure what type of cichlid and have heard anything from a jack dempsey to a "faded" salvini. With that advice in mind we have picked a few fish that we would like to add to the 220 gal with the unknown cichlid: (unknown number of each) pleco, convict cichild, blood parrot, fire mouth cichild, oscar, jack dempsey, green terror, blue acara.

We would like to know what type of cichlid we currently have and if these fish would work well in the same tank as the unknown cichlid. And if so how many would you suggest? We are willing to separate any fish that end up not getting along and would prefer to not have to rehome any of the fish at an adult size. Thanks!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Reminds me of cichlasoma salvini. Gotta ask duanes duanes and Gourami Swami Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I agree the fish is a salvini, possibly a hybrid with some mixed blood. The jaw and body shape does look a bit like a JD to me.
This fish is CA; for your tankmates I would stick with similarly tough CA fish. Your ideas are good though I would leave out the Oscar acara and (maybe) green terror, as they are south American and tendto prefer softer water. The exact mix, will be trial and error, and some luck. Cichlid communities rarely work on the first attempt, you will run into problems at some point and have to move fish around or re-home them. But that is all part of the process of having a cichlid community. The best you can do is make educated guesses, and the most likely fish to work for you are cichlids with similar attitudes (salvini tend to be quite mean), which like the same hard water.
Some other species to look at: Hericthys carpintis, Nandopsis tetracanthus, jack Dempsey, amphilophus lyonsi

Reactions: kno4te

Crazy 8

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 13, 2018
Merica
I’d agree on possible hybrid, has the color like a Salvini but I’m not convinced it is one by the pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store