Stocking a 55? I Need Ideas

Amaroq

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2007
In The Little Town Of Bedrock!
Like the name says i need some ideas for stocking my 55 gallon. I want a Delhezi Bichir for sure but im not sure what else to put in there, I was thinking of making it a african tank but i need some help on what i can put in there. I was thinking of putting in some African Butterfly Fish and Congo Tetras but i dont no what else i can put in there :( So i thought i come to the best and ask:D

Thanks,
AQ

Razman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
NoVa
all the listed sounds fine, do you want more bichirs? african brown knifefish are sweet. tell us what you like.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Elephantnose-Gnathonemus petersii
African butterfly-Pantondon bucholzi
African Knifefish-Xenomystus nigri
Ctenopoma .acutirostre-Ctenopoma acutirostre
Ctenopoma oxyrhynchus-Ctenopoma oxyrhynchus
Ctenopoma kingsleyae-Ctenopoma kingsleyae
Kribensis- Pelvicachromis pulcher
Congo tetra-Phenacogrammus interruptus
Nurse tetra - Alestes nurse
Theres some possibilities

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
you can add ctenopomas to your list of possible tankmates. i would advice against congo tetras because i don't think they get big enough to be ignored by hungry bichirs.

Amaroq

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2007
How big do African Brown Knife get? I have a small list of what im planning on putting in the tank but if i can add more ill gladly will :D

1 x Delhezi Bichir (Amoured Bichir)
2-3 x African Butterfly Fish
5-? x Congo Tetras
1-2 x Jewel Cichlid

Now do you think i would be able to add a African Brown Knife to the tank? or would that be to much bio? Id like this to be a long term tank, meaning i dont want to upgrade, Also would the African Brown Knife eat the Congo's/Butterfly's ?

Thanks,
AQ

Amaroq

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2007
Ok so i looked into some info on African Brown Knife and i read that they usually only get to 8'' correct? and that they can be kept in a community tank so im not worried about Congo's "disappearing" from him/her now i just need to no if my list is ok for the 55 or if theres so to much? ill repeat the list incase some people forgot what was on it before;)

1 x Delhezi Bichir
2-3 x African Butterfly
5-? x Congo Tetras
1-2 x Jewel Cichlid
1 x African Brown Knife

Also by the way i dont like the look of Kribensis cichlids but thanks to everyone that listed them for a idea.
Thanks,
AQ

Amaroq

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2007
is300zx;995805; said:
i would advice against congo tetras because i don't think they get big enough to be ignored by hungry bichirs.
Im planning on getting a smaller Delhezi and buy the biggest Congo's i can get so they'll be safe for a while but if they turn out to be eaten then i guess im out 5-? Congo Tetras, atleast ill no that the Bichir enjoyed them :D

AQ

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
i wouldn't go with african butterfly's......they are increadibly boring imo. just sit there among the top not really doing anything......

might i suggest your 1 delhezi, 1 senegal, 2-3 leopard ctenopoma the congo's and an african brown knife.

Amaroq

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2007
Id like only 1 Bichir because it will make him/her more of the center of attention and i also arent to fond of look of the Senegals, I mean they look good and all but there just a little to plain for me. Would i be able to fit a Rope fish in there as well or would that over stock this bad boy:ROFL: Here are the fish i no i want in the tank.

-Delhezi Bichir
-Congo Tetra
-African Butterfly
-African Brown Knife

The reason why i want the African Butterfly's is because my mom LOVES the look of them and i no she'll nag me untill i get them, i like the look of the little guys as well so i may as put them in and they'll also add a little deversety between the fish, do they school or swim around by themselves? id think they school but i thought i should ask.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
idk how they can school when they rarely move lol

but ya that looks pretty good, you might be able to squeeze a ropefish in there if you want.....just be sure the tank is good and covered!!!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store