Stocking Advice - Can I Fit a JD in? Photo Attached

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
yup... not a jack Dempsey, that is an aequidens rivulatus. I would return it to the store, you probably overpaid, small GT's should be very cheap and EBJD usually pricier. Also the GT will grow just a bit too large for a 55.
Also, I think you may have issues with just the two electric blue cichlids in the tank, most likely whichever is dominant will bully the other with no other cichlids to distract them, and especially since they would look similar.If I were you and I really wanted the EBJD, I would sell the acara off and let the EBJD have the tank with the SD's etc

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Oh dear - how embarrassing, and now very obvious!! He's gone back to the shop - you were quite right... He was very over priced for a GT.

Based on your collective advice I think I'll leave the idea of an EBJD. I couldn't bare to sell my EBA - such an awesome and beautiful fish.

Anyone got any other stocking suggestions - or perhaps it is best left as it is and just enjoyed?

Reactions: BIG-G

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Oh dear - how embarrassing, and now very obvious!! He's gone back to the shop - you were quite right... He was very over priced for a GT.

Based on your collective advice I think I'll leave the idea of an EBJD. I couldn't bare to sell my EBA - such an awesome and beautiful fish.

Anyone got any other stocking suggestions - or perhaps it is best left as it is and just enjoyed?

Personally would just add a few smaller colorful fish maybe non Cichlid.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Don’t be embarrassed. It happens. You don’t know what you don’t know.
It’s good that you at least are seeking advice.
I agree I wouldn’t add another cichlid.

I was speaking with a guy at the LFS the other day he was seeking advice on treating a pair of convicts. During the coarse of the conversation I found out he had Green sevrums. Lol when I told him, after he shows a picture on his phone, he was like what are they worth? I said well whatever you can get somebody to pay, but more than convicts for sure.
Like I say sometimes you just don’t know what you don’t know.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Thanks again all. I'll take you up on the advice and leave the EBA to be king of the tank. I may chance my arm with something small and colourful - but be prepared for the fact the pictus (and even the Acara) may pick them off in the night.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
If you wanted to try another cichlid- what is your water like? Herotilapia multispinosa would be a decent choice, quite a passive cichlid, could do a pair or a male and a few females. They would not do well in very soft, low pH water however, being central American. But would do just fine in neutral-ish to harder water.

Though, adding non-cichlids would be a safer bet for sure

Reactions: Bluesandtwo

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
For anyone who may see this thread.... Opinions on a pair of electric blue rams instead? They caught my eye today. The only thing I worry about is the pictus..?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although being a line bred fish, this may be where the the point that Gourami Swami made may come into play.
Rams normally come from soft mineral free water, and depending on where and how they were bred may determine whether they will work in your tank or not. Tannins may also be a factor.
If the breeder used a combination of tap and RO, or if the breeders water is different than yours, could mean a healthy fish in your tank or not.
If you don't know the constituents of your water, your municipal provider may have them posted on their water quality web site.
Rams also like to be the alpha fish in a tank, and if something like an blue acara prevents this (which is a distinct possibility) , the stress can be overwhelming for the Rams.

Reactions: Bluesandtwo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store