stocking advice

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I agree with Gourami Swami Gourami Swami . Just stick with SA Cichlids. If you do end up getting a 500 g, then you can pick some more fish when you get it.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you don't mind getting wet during feeding, Kelberi pbass grow pretty slow compared to other pbass (growth on par if not just a smidge faster than an oscar). They are about as aggressive as oscars and do the feed me dance every time you pass by the aquarium just like an oscar. Pikes are close, like a sveni or saxatilis. If you get one of the larger ones, they can be way more aggressive than an oscar.

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
The Pike I do find interesting, my fear has been it sharing the bottom of the tank with the pleco and geo. The plan for the Geo was to just keep my sand bed rolling to suspend detritus for mechanical filtration. He and the pleco had jobs, But I am open to ideas, I don't want to overstock per say, just trying to find a way to make sure that the tank has movement I'm most places I would be happy with 4-6 fish as long as they were active, they will all be purchased sub 3".

I have thought about doing Pbass, but I have a feeling I would like them to the point of another large tank, and my wife, if she stayed, would kill me in my sleep. She signed off on 1 giant tank, and made it clear lol. Now if we move..... I get a pond :)

BigDaddyMagnum

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2008
New York
love the GT idea but the Electric JD isnt a bad idea either

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The Geo braziliensus clade are not quite the same intense earth eater as many other other Geos, so you may find they are less effective as sand sifters, than say the altifrons group, or Satanoperca.
There is talk that the braziliensus group may be given its own genus separate from Geophagus at some point.

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
The Geo braziliensus clade are not quite the same intense earth eater as many other other Geos, so you may find they are less effective as sand sifters, than say the altifrons group, or Satanoperca.
There is talk that the braziliensus group may be given its own genus separate from Geophagus at some point.
Interesting, that could change the dynamic of the tank then, what would you recommend for stirring the sand? Like I said I am open to all options and opinions, the only two must haves for this tank are the rhino and Oscar. The Rhino would go into my 125 but I am afraid of putting him with my bichirs, slime coat buffet.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I agree. Do not put the Rhino with the Bichirs. What about stick with the Rhino and Oscar, and then a month from then, decide what fish you want.

Goonie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Northern Virginia
I agree. Do not put the Rhino with the Bichirs. What about stick with the Rhino and Oscar, and then a month from then, decide what fish you want.
I would rather put them all in small around the same time, may just be me, but I seem to have better luck with aggression when I do that. I still have Africans in the tank so I have time need to sell about 12-15 more then find some one to give away my females to

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
S. jurupari are really good sifters and don't pick fights with other species generally. You don't need more than 1.5" of mesh size 40 sand in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store