Stocking Ideas for my monster tank

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Fire eels are cool, certainly wouldn't mind having one as it'd be a great change of bodyshape in the tank. Not a fan of lungfish and don't want to get the Pbass due to their eventual enormous girth (main reason why even if I went the 500 gallon route, I'd be hesitant to get a giant gourami despite how bad I want one). Puffers and bichirs is a big no-no to me, i know puffers eat crustaceans but I know a guy who in one tank alone lost 5 bichirs to a Mbu puffer biting their heads off, and he gave it plenty of crustaceans.
Okay so don’t do puffers and bichirs ?. A big red tail giant gourami would be amazing. There’s also clown loaches, water cow goby, and if you give me a minute I can come up with a list of 10 cool oddballs you’d probably like

Aidan.Kilgore02

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2021
Okay so don’t do puffers and bichirs ?. A big red tail giant gourami would be amazing. There’s also clown loaches, water cow goby, and if you give me a minute I can come up with a list of 10 cool oddballs you’d probably like
Yeah lmao, I'd love to set up a large tank for just a mbu eventually tho. Think I'm pretty good on stocking now, have a few potential stockings for if I go the 425, a couple for a 450, and several for a 500. Tbh I initially started this thread, more than anything, to see if any of these tanks would be suitable for multiple arowana haha, but I always love getting new stocking ideas and just seeing what other people suggest/come up with. Really appreciate all the suggestions and advice

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Yeah lmao, I'd love to set up a large tank for just a mbu eventually tho. Think I'm pretty good on stocking now, have a few potential stockings for if I go the 425, a couple for a 450, and several for a 500. Tbh I initially started this thread, more than anything, to see if any of these tanks would be suitable for multiple arowana haha, but I always love getting new stocking ideas and just seeing what other people suggest/come up with. Really appreciate all the suggestions and advice
Always love to talk fish to another hobbyists and just talk fish in general lol. Also always more than happy to help out especially with stocking a tank

Reactions: Aidan.Kilgore02

Aidan.Kilgore02

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2021
Always love to talk fish to another hobbyists and just talk fish in general lol. Also always more than happy to help out especially with stocking a tank
I feel ya, that's why I love this website so much, tons of fish people who genuinely love the hobby and actually care about properly housing fish. Not to mention the Neverending well of knowledge this website seems to have. I'm sure I'll be back at least a couple times before I commit to anything stocking wise anyhow. Super hyped for the tank but it's still several months out after setting up the sump, cycling, decorating, etc.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I feel ya, that's why I love this website so much, tons of fish people who genuinely love the hobby and actually care about properly housing fish. Not to mention the Neverending well of knowledge this website seems to have. I'm sure I'll be back at least a couple times before I commit to anything stocking wise anyhow. Super hyped for the tank but it's still several months out after setting up the sump, cycling, decorating, etc.
I just recently got bb catfish for a tank I’ve been cycling for a while now and the wait was killing me lol also noticed you’re 18, how do you pay for this?

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I just recently got bb catfish for a tank I’ve been cycling for a while now and the wait was killing me lol also noticed you’re 18, how do you pay for this?
I’m 16 and recently got a job and Decided to take 50$ from each paycheck to put to my fish and 2 days I’m already down to like 17¢ lol ( of the 50$ Put towards my fish) I still have 50 total left from the entire check cause I also bought a python lol

Aidan.Kilgore02

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2021
I’m 16 and recently got a job and Decided to take 50$ from each paycheck to put to my fish and 2 days I’m already down to like 17¢ lol.
Nice on the catfish! Waiting for cycling is always the worst lmao. As far as payment, I got into the hobby at about 14, started saving big time at around 15, and for a while was working 7 days a week, 2 jobs including landscaping which pays really well, especially out here in AZ cause of the heat lol. I'm now down to 1 job at 5-6 days a week (an exotic pet store funnily enough) and just save a pretty decent amount of each paycheck into my "fish fund". I've also started breeding severums as a side hobby which has already made me a nice chunk of change on the side.

Aidan.Kilgore02

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2021
I’m 16 and recently got a job and Decided to take 50$ from each paycheck to put to my fish and 2 days I’m already down to like 17¢ lol ( of the 50$ Put towards my fish) I still have 50 total left from the entire check cause I also bought a python lol
Long story short? I've been saving for years haha.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Nice on the catfish! Waiting for cycling is always the worst lmao. As far as payment, I got into the hobby at about 14, started saving big time at around 15, and for a while was working 7 days a week, 2 jobs including landscaping which pays really well, especially out here in AZ cause of the heat lol. I'm now down to 1 job at 5-6 days a week (an exotic pet store funnily enough) and just save a pretty decent amount of each paycheck into my "fish fund". I've also started breeding severums as a side hobby which has already made me a nice chunk of change on the side.
Long story short? I've been saving for years haha.
Thanks can’t wait for them to grow. I got a job at Kroger and work 5 days a week but gonna try to start doing at least 6 hours overtime for an extra 100$ per paycheck but legally as a minor I don’t think I’m allowed to lol. Being in the fish keeping hobby, you better have a good income or you bette find a new passion ? tomorrow it’s gonna be 92 and I’ll be running back and forth outside for 8 hours ( 12/hr isn’t enough for this job lol) when I’m 18 I’m gonna talk to management about being moved to meat and seafood so I can fillet fish and make near 20-25/hr ( butcher makes 35/hr) but I’m good at filleting fish and they never can find anyone for that spot.
Speaking of work, I should probably go to bed so I can get at least 6 hours of sleep because I gotta get up at 7:15 to work a 9-5 that I’m gonna try to make 8-7 for some more money.

Aidan.Kilgore02

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2021
Thanks can’t wait for them to grow. I got a job at Kroger and work 5 days a week but gonna try to start doing at least 6 hours overtime for an extra 100$ per paycheck but legally as a minor I don’t think I’m allowed to lol. Being in the fish keeping hobby, you better have a good income or you bette find a new passion ? tomorrow it’s gonna be 92 and I’ll be running back and forth outside for 8 hours ( 12/hr isn’t enough for this job lol) when I’m 18 I’m gonna talk to management about being moved to meat and seafood so I can fillet fish and make near 20-25/hr ( butcher makes 35/hr) but I’m good at filleting fish and they never can find anyone for that spot.
Speaking of work, I should probably go to bed so I can get at least 6 hours of sleep because I gotta get up at 7:15 to work a 9-5 that I’m gonna try to make 8-7 for some more money.
Yeah no kidding haha, very rewarding hobby but boy oh boy is it expensive. That's sounds like a good plan you've got tho! Just keep grinding dude, it just makes the ultimate results/payoff all the more satisfying! Nothing makes me happier than sitting down and looking at the fish/tanks I worked my butt off to buy. Get some sleep tho, morning always comes fast lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store