stocking my new tang setup

ukpoduk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
uk
hi my tank is 47 x 15 x16 inches and wander what tang fish would be best suit for this tank , not sure if i want a mix or just one species , if i have a mix i know i was one or more of the comps or cavlus but again not sure which ,, any help please.

SteveO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2005
PGH
Thats not even a 75G... only 1 tang...
For the most part Tangs are open water fish.... they need lots and lots of swimming room. Some say nothing less than a 6 foot tank, but you could do a small yellow or kole in a 75, but not both.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
There's just so much to choose from!
You could have a pair or trio or comps or calvus and still have room for another breeding pair or small colony of something else. The deal is, comps and calvus take a buttload of time to mature, up to 3-4 years to sexual maturity. And slow to grow. You want to keep them with something that can hold their own against them but won't outgrow them and then own them. They're not too easy to sex either. Males generally get larger faster.
Look into Julidochomis like transcriptus, dwarf marlieri or dickfeldi. Or some of the medium sized Neolamps like N. cylindricus or leleupi. You could also set up for some of the larger shelldwellers like occies, stappersi, speciosus, calliurus or brevis.

Ain't no Tang like a freshwater Tang! :woot:

ukpoduk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
uk
There's just so much to choose from!
You could have a pair or trio or comps or calvus and still have room for another breeding pair or small colony of something else. The deal is, comps and calvus take a buttload of time to mature, up to 3-4 years to sexual maturity. And slow to grow. You want to keep them with something that can hold their own against them but won't outgrow them and then own them. They're not too easy to sex either. Males generally get larger faster.
Look into Julidochomis like transcriptus, dwarf marlieri or dickfeldi. Or some of the medium sized Neolamps like N. cylindricus or leleupi. You could also set up for some of the larger shelldwellers like occies, stappersi, speciosus, calliurus or brevis.

Ain't no Tang like a freshwater Tang! :woot:

thank you that has helped a lot, i guess i have to choose from what the lfs has to offer but i will keep all of in mind

ukpoduk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
uk
Well, what does your LFS have to offer? That would help narrow some of the choices down. :grinyes:
ive just bought 2 Julidochromis marlieri
2 Altolamprologus compressiceps
and 2 other small ones not sure of name im looking on sites to find the name but they are pale white with yellow fins,

ukpoduk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
uk
QUOTE=ukpoduk;434671]ive just bought 2 Julidochromis marlieri
2 Altolamprologus compressiceps
and 2 other small ones not sure of name im looking on sites to find the name but they are pale white with yellow fins,[/QUOTE]
, the other 2 are 'Lamprologus' caudopunctatus :D

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Caudos, if male and female, are good breeders. In J. marlieri the females are the larger sex.
The problem now though is that you have 3 species of rockdwellers in a 4' tank. They will all be fighting over the same chunk of land. If you can, provide 3 rockpiles with plenty of empty space between each. Make on of the piles with caves that are more vertical than horizontal, for the comps.
You could try seperating them into 2 rocks piles and one bed of snail shells (using something like escargot shells) and see if the caudos will take them. They'll use shells if there's nothing else available to them but the comps will also be tempted to use them as shelter while they can still fit into them.

Don't be tempted to add more fish. See how the current stock gets along. :grinyes:
Congrats on your new Tangs!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store