Hi all

I have a 5ft long 120 gallon tank.

Current inhabitants:
1 x blood parrot cichlid
3 x green severum
2 x rainbow cichlid
1 x bristlenose pleco
3 x rainbow bosemani fish

I purchased the green severums and rainbow cichlids with the intention of adding some colour to the tank - however, they mostly hide. I have been debating finding a hobbyist who would be better suited to them and possibly changing my stocking.

I was wondering if adding another parrot, 4 x angelfish and a handful of neon tetras or something would be okay?

I have 2 AC110s.

I am just looking to add/change up so there is some more colour.

Always appreciate the help!
Thanks

Rwils24

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2020
I also have always loved red tailed black sharks, but know they could be a fin nipper. So open to adding them in instead of something.

I just want some colour and life in the tank, after the severums/rainbows have been mostly hiders.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
How big are the individuals you acquired?
Many cichlids, like severums, or rainbows do not color up until maturity, and when first put in a new tank will hide.
And it put with certain tank mates or in certain water condition do not color up.
As an example a young rainbow will show colors like this
1675454789157.png
But when it is mature, at about 4 to 5", will present as below, and prefer hard water
1675454873657.png
Same with Severums, they may not show true colors until 5", but only really color up in great water conditions, like soft, low pH water.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Rwils24

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2020
Thank you - the rainbows are that colour, I have them and the severums for about 3 years.

The severums are about 3-5 inches (one is large, a medium and one is about 3 inches).

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I personally wouldn’t get any more cichlids, things will look cramped as they grow.
Any large bodied tetra would work - I’ve never had any experience with black skirts being aggressive. The biggest worry I see is if the rainbowfish bully the tetras (which would be fixed by a larger, tougher tetra species like Colombians or Buenos Aires).

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Rwils24

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2020
Thanks. I am not looking to add more cichlids to the current mix. I am looking to maybe give the current cichlids (besides the BP) to another hobbyist, and add new fish.

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
Sometimes I think hiding is infectious. It sort of becomes the culture of a tank. If I were you I would start over with the cichlids and try to get a new bunch that doesn't hide as often. I remember my old cichlid tank had a hiding issue, so I started over and now my new cichlid never hide anymore.

Rwils24

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2020
Thanks SalviniCichlidFan.

It may be best to get rid of the severums and rainbows then. I am not sure I can get rid of the BP (I have had her for years).

Would an appropriate new stocking be:

- a second BP
- 4 angelfish
- some other showpiece type fish
- a dozen tetras of some sort?

Or, if I remove the angelfish and add a school of red tail black sharks?

I think I will stay away from Cichlids (besides the BP/Angelfish).

Also open to any other suggestions,
Thanks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although you have 3 rainbow fish, that is hardly what I would consider a good dither fish to cichlid ratio.
In nature it's usually 10 to 20 dither fish to each cichlid to watch, to make cichlids comfortable.
And that ratio makes most cichlids secure enough not to constantly hide unless the dither fish get spooked.
Often a large number of cichlids compared to non-cichlid dithers adds to the non security mood of the tank.
Compare a couple in nature videos.
Eden2
Above the dither species are mollies, and goodies.
Below compare population of Parachromis to tetras, and livebearers
Aktun Ha

Reactions: Deadeye

Rwils24

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2020
Thank you - I think that is why I am going to rehome the green severums and rainbow cichlids.

The only cichlid I would keep is the blood parrot, and add some additional fish. Which is now what I am hoping to get some insights on

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store