Stocking The Pond - June, 2013

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Well, I finally have my pond (1200G) up and running. This year, I decided to go with 8 Red Comet goldfish. I've never seen a more brilliantly red variant- like a Sarasa but without the white. These are in there because they are highly visible and active. But the really important pond inhabitants are some of my cichlids (sorry goldfish lovers). The returnees from last year are a beautiful Uruguayan species called Australoheros sp. 'Red Ceibal' (3M, 1F) and 8 exCichlasoma beani (Rio Presidio/Mazatlan). A year ago, the 'beani' were 2-3", and right now, they range in size from 4-6". I'm hoping that a pair will form in the pond. Speaking of spawning, part of the delay in putting the 'Red Ceibals' out is that a pair had spawned downstairs about 3 weeks ago and I couldn't bear to break up the family scene. But todayI did just that, and now there are about 100-1/4" fry downstairs without Mom and Dad. I'll be putting them outside in a smaller pond (100G) to grow them out some. Also, I recently had a pair of Cichlasoma dimerus (Uruguay - from Ray Quennel's wild caught pair) spawn and decided I'd put out 50 or so 1/2 - 3/4" fry into the pond as well. Most will become "feeders" I suspect for the larger predatory cichlids, but some might survive. I've got about 100 left downstairs for growing out plus my pair is tending to another batch of fry. Anyway, the water temperature is 22C and all fish (AFAIK) made the transition successfully. Now to just let nature take its course. I took a few pictures (not very good :( ) of the pond and some of the fish as they were going in.

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
I have five large Adinoacara rivulatus (2M, 3F). I decided I would put a pair in my pond today. The male is around 10", the female 8". It should be "interesting" if they spawn out there. At least the others have room to flee. Their preferred temperature range is mid 70-80 F and the pond is there ( 23.9 C or 75 F). Here are some pictures I took a few minutes ago just before putting them in the pond.
IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
The GTs, in this more natural setting, are swimming calmly and sedately around, leisurely picking at food like they don't have a care in the world. Much different than in the aquarium where they (and most of my fish) seem somewhat more frenzied and stressed from the more cramped quarters. The pair of Astatheros sp. Red Ceibal are already tending a spawn, and the 'beani' are stunning. And the baby Cichlasoma dimerus are keeping out of harms way. All is good.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Very nice pond setup. The GT's colours are simply incredible, I cannot wait how they will look after a summer outside!

My rainbow Cichlids are outside but we have had temperatures in the 10-20 Celsius range and I am not sure if both will make it :( I have been doing warm W/C but they are lying on their sides already :(

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Very nice pond setup. The GT's colours are simply incredible, I cannot wait how they will look after a summer outside!

My rainbow Cichlids are outside but we have had temperatures in the 10-20 Celsius range and I am not sure if both will make it :( I have been doing warm W/C but they are lying on their sides already :(
Thank you Ben. Hopefully your Rainbows will acclimate. The pair of Green Terrors wasted no time in putting down a spawn. This is the first time I have put this species out side for the Summer and it certainly seems to be to their liking. You can see a few Red Comet goldfish flying overhead along with some exCichlasoma beani that really love pond life. I guess it's like going to Summer camp.:)
[video=youtube;zue3YQyvviU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zue3YQyvviU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store