Stomatepia mongo

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Wow the color is impressive on these silvery fish!! Great pics! About how old are they?

Reactions: Milingu

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
They really are a nice looking specimen. Never seen them outside of this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Wow the color is impressive on these silvery fish!! Great pics! About how old are they?
Thanks.
I don't know the age. I guess less than a year.
They are slowly showing more black in their colours. When I feed them they go to fully silver within a second. The black takes a while to come back.

Reactions: deeda

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I recently moved them to the living room tank which had no fish for a while.
Oh my wife was pissed. Such brown, ugly fish in the living room. I might have to buy another 150 gallon tank...

In addition, a while ago a friend brought me an adult sure female from the same breeder. It had a nice round body shape like females full of eggs should have.
Now the "female" and one of my fish dropped their tubes and I am not sure anymore about the bigger fish being a female. The white and black pattern also looks more male to me and it became way leaner.
I hope they spawn and I can observe it. I think thats the only way to figure out their true gender.

• Love
Reactions: RD. and deeda

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Super Cichlids in Dover, Delaware has a wild breeding group of S. mongo and sells the F1 quite reasonably.

Sexing them is similar to S. pindu: Males are thinner and more elongate. Females are thicker and wider.

When they breed, the females get a visible large square tube and the males has a smaller angular notch.

Also like S. pindu, the holding females will spit the fry instantly when caught.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
They're harem breeders and don't pair bond. A single male can (and will) breed with a whole group of females.

I recently moved them to the living room tank which had no fish for a while.
Oh my wife was pissed. Such brown, ugly fish in the living room. I might have to buy another 150 gallon tank...

In addition, a while ago a friend brought me an adult sure female from the same breeder. It had a nice round body shape like females full of eggs should have.
Now the "female" and one of my fish dropped their tubes and I am not sure anymore about the bigger fish being a female. The white and black pattern also looks more male to me and it became way leaner.
I hope they spawn and I can observe it. I think thats the only way to figure out their true gender.

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
I think the body shape can be misleading. At least when I look at the tubes the thinner fish seems to be a female and the rounder fish seems to be a male. A quite fat male.
That also matches with the colour patterns the breeder described. Before spawning the males show a white area above the anal fin.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store