Store Bought Tilapia & Feeding...

I guess to make it simple: How often/should I feed them the tilapia?

• Feed them it sparingly

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Never buy it again for any fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feed them it regularly along w/ other foods

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Jughead Jones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2018
LA
I have a few New World Cichlids, a bichir, a vampire pleco, and some African Cichlids (between two tanks). I read about someone using tilapia to feed their bichir so I decided to give it a try. My bichir loves it, my severum is too small to really get much out of even the smallest chunks but loves chewing it, the other NW mostly ignore it. Not so surprisingly, half the Africans are also pretty much obsessed (especially the peacocks/hap) because they just love eating in general (but they will get their pellets/crisps still for nutritional reasons). The jewel cichlids aren't too fond of the pellets but love worms so it makes sense that they enjoy it too. After buying the tilapia I read that its basically low in the omega-3 proteins (and has more carcinogens harmful to humans than other fish) so should I feed them the tilapia not too often, maybe once every two days? It's not like the fish accepting it won't eat anything else, I just bought it as a cheap bulk feeding item that lasts since I can freeze it. One more thing, the vampire pleco doesn't seem very interested in anything from shrimp pellets to frozen worms (or even the tilapia). But I've had him for about 2 1/2 weeks now and he's doing fine (but no signs of growth and he's a juvenile). I have seen him go for bloodworms a couple times and it seemed that he also went for shrimp pellets once (he was hiding) so I guess if he's really hungry he'll eat it?

oh and one more thing, the common plecs/bushynose go for the uneaten tilapia too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store