Storing acrylic tanks

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
Hello every one,

So I have a few tanks I am looking at my options of were to keep them until I use them. They are all. 3/8 to 1/2 inch acrylic. My question is can they be stored in an enclosed cargo trailer in Arizona. Really does high heat effect them. They would be out of direct sunlight. But is about to get hot here will be steadily 100 to 120 for the next six months here outside and hotter inside the trailer. It has normal side vents. Humidity is low in a.z. 20 percent or so. Thanks

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
I just looked it up. The melting point of acrylic is 320F. So, you would expect it to begin to soften at around 200-250F. When seeking such technical information, it is best to go online and acquire this information directly from the companies that actually deal with these materials.

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
thanks for the reply. i did not even tjink it would melt at that low of a temp. i guess i should be more specific. i am worried about tanks bowing or getting mis shaped or mainly seem sepration. am i right in thinking panels will bow or flex and change shaped way before melting point temp. or does it still need to reach that temp to change shape at all

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
thanks for the reply. i did not even tjink it would melt at that low of a temp. i guess i should be more specific. i am worried about tanks bowing or getting mis shaped or mainly seem sepration. am i right in thinking panels will bow or flex and change shaped way before melting point temp. or does it still need to reach that temp to change shape at all
I know very little about this and don’t want to mislead you. Please contact companies specializing in acrylic synthesis and fabrication.

Reactions: Matteus

Randys

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2015
Traverse City, Michigan
For what it's worth, I kept a 30 gallon acrylic stored in the top of my garage for many, many years. Granted I'm in northern Michigan but during the summer months it gets so hot that you can barely go up there.

I pulled it down and have been using it in my house for the past 5 years or so. No issues.

Reactions: Matteus

heffesuita

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2007
windsor v.t
thanks for the reply. i am actualy from nh so i do know exactly what u are refering to for temp and humidity. i put a new chimney in my parents house 5 years or so ago. in the heat of summer and was not bad exacetp the addict was murderous. if it can survive that im sure it will be good

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store