Strange Orino

dthatcherjr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
I bought this PB sold to me by Malone’s a few months ago. It was $25 on eBay and I had never bought a fish off eBay and thought why not . It was 1.5-2inch and I was really surprised how well it was shipped . They do a good job at Malone’s . However , this one has been a surprise in a few ways . She is up to roughly 5 inches but crazy thick . However, the tail section is stunted . It is hard to really how much disportioned it is unless you see it in person . Any chance this was a short body attempt by a breeder?

C5C6AB62-A7B8-496D-B75A-0936EB92D317.jpeg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Probably just an odd birth defect....as far as I know,short bodied fish are developed in Asia and I suspect that any of them that are not up to snuff are terminated.Btw that orino looks like it might be a Rio Meta variety.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
TBH I have to put my two cents out there and say that Malones Monsters doesnt know one fish from the other and get the cheapest fish from the cheapest vendors a lot of the time. They seem to love Orinos though because their baby bass are Orinos, their temensis are orinos, and their true orinos are the only correctly ID'ed bass on their page for sale. Its probably just a farmed birth defect. But grow it out, maybe youll just get an extra THIIIK orino

dthatcherjr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
I can not really speak to the quality of identification PB of Malone’s . I just can say that this fish was packaged Very well and arrived very healthy within 24 hrs and has never been sick . It’s funny what you say about the Orino , and Malone’s . Locally here every small fish in the LFS in the area are mostly sold as Ocellaris and it a coin flip as to what you get. I rarely buy a baby I am just not good at identification at that size . I also have had bad luck with mortality.

However, I am also a sucker for price or rescue when it comes to the monsters . I will keep growing this one .

Last edited:
Reactions: Blakewater
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store