Strange Parachromis Multifasciatus

Fishtank6575

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2017
I have a weird Freddy and was wondering if anyone has had a similar acting fish. This fish is scared all of the time. If the lights are out he is wedged under something. Sometimes on his side pressed between deco and the sand. When the lights are on he will come out but still stay hidden behind deco. He is scared to come up for food and will dart all around frantically. He will come out and get sinking food but seems to have a hard time grabbing it. He will miss a couple times before getting it in his mouth. I dont think this is an eye sight problem. It seems he is so scared that he cant focus and is just moving to fast. If Im doing tank cleaning he will play dead. He is the weirdest acting fish I have ever had.

Ive had him for about 9-10 months I think. He has grown form 3-4" to 6-7" and looks completely fine to me. Is this a normal growth rate?

Ive had him with a light and dark background and light and dark substrate. Ive had him with several kinds of fish and he is scared of them all. Hes in a tank by himself and still acts the same way. The water is always 0.0.<20 and all 20+ some fish I have are fine. He has acted off since day one with me.

Any ideas on whats going on or things I could try?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Average growth rate in a cichlid is about 0.5” for one that grow potentially to 12” adult size. With it being skittish, the growth rate is about right

Keep the light above the tank off, only using ambient room lighting. Also don’t watch it eat

Reactions: Bbuckley

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
Hi F Fishtank6575 ,
Might just be his personality
Keep the light above the tank off, only using ambient room lighting. Also don’t watch it eat
+1 and +1 ^ Have you thought of getting some dither fish for the tank like Giant Danios,Tetras, Silver Dollars or Swordtails, ect. They may make him more comfortable and less skittish. He also should have a proper cave to go into. Maybe even some floating plants would make him more secure. Like they say, every fish is different. HTH

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I nature any 3" to 8" fish is basically bird food, so if its in a tank, with lots of exposure to the surface.
That habitat does not offer much confidence that that its instinctual wariness of predators should be abandoned.
And going to the surface for pellets is an exercise in instinctually tempting fate.
1621250171652.png
The shot above is a cormorant fishing for cichlids in Mexican multifasciatus habitat, these and other fishing birds are cichlids primary predators.
I took the video below in Aktun Ha Cenote one of the places where P multifasciatus is found.
There is a female at about 1 minute, and others randomly seen throughout (although none are hammy or present themselves out in the open for long).
Most are hanging around in cover of sunken branches at 4 to 6 ft of depth, hugging the substrate, away from avian view, where they watch dither fish (Astayanax tetras, Live bearers) as clues to any approaching sky diving danger.
Aktun Ha
If your tank is under 6 ft, and shallow, with little cover to hide under, with substrate either dark or light enough that makes your Parachromis stand out from above, it probably feels like a sitting duck .

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I just liked the post to show that I care, I didn’t have time to write a response at the moment. ?
I agree with what others have said.
Extra cover, add dither fish. Cichlids often do go through stages in their lives where they are more skittish. This is when they are the appropriate size to be easy prey items.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
I know you said you tried dither fish, but what type? I'd try giant danios, maybe some BA tetras, or something along those lines. About the tank itself, is it on high traffic area? How tall in your stand? Any speakers / music system in the room? It could be something outside the tank that's freaking him out.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I find that high traffic areas are the best way to get fish use to people. They learn "the routine" about what happens outside of the tank and get used to it. Part of this routine is not putting up any lights above the tank for the first year of its life so that they can see further outside of the tank. The only fish that I've kept that don't ever get used to high traffic are silver dollars. One of the worst dithers IMO, even platies, rainbow fish, and giant danios get used to high traffic.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Post a picture of the tank. I'd bet there is not enough cover to make the fish feel secure. I think people underestimate how skittish young cichlids will be when there isn't decor in the upper reaches of the tank. Also, being alone will make him even more skittish.
Duanes' post is probably spot on

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store