Stress coat safe for spiny eels(zig zag)? And stressed out Jack dempsey.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I recently put in a jack dempsey in my 45 gallon fish tank, there is a zig zag eel in there too along with other fish. My jack dempsey is very stressed out right now from the new setting o a new home, and I know zig zag eels are very sensitive to many things. So I am wondering if I could put in stress coat for my jack dempsey without hurting my zig zag eel?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would just wait it out. The stress coat should be fine to add even for the eel.

I’d suggest not mixing the cichlid with the eel. It may end bad for the eel. Cichlids can be too aggressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
My jack dempsey isn't a real aggressive one, i had him with a baby rainbow shark for a while with no problems until I went away on vacation. The jack dempsey ate him.

Austin Finley

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2018
I've had a few jack Dempsey's and currently still have one they're very aggressive they'll stalk your eel for a long time and one day itll be gone when it gets hungry enough or thinks the eel is worth the effort to attack. The jack most likely didn't attack the rainbow because he was sufficiently fed and when you went on vacation the meal was worth the effort.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I found that the aloe vera in stresscoat tended to clog my filters. I am not sure how this stuff get's broken down in the aquarium. Should be organic but I'm just say'in.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Everything is fine right now. My jack did recently eat one of my algae eaters, but that was because my feeders were almost empty.

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
I have 2 JDs in with my Tire Track (and a bunch of other assorted cichlids) with no issues (at least so far) - but then maybe having a 125gal tank mitigates the issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store