Striped or Spotted Raph Cat

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
Is one of them more active/ outgoing? Which one would you recommend as an aquarium fish all round? I have a 90 gallon.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
They are VERY nocturnal, unless you watch your fish at 2:00am with a flashlight, get something else.

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
They are VERY nocturnal, unless you watch your fish at 2:00am with a flashlight, get something else.
I enjoy the idea of only seeing them on occasion. It will make seeing them a treat. I was just wondering if one of the two is slightly more outgoing or less nocturnal than the other

Reactions: tlindsey

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Back when I kept them I didn't see a difference. Ime, similar to plecos, how much you see of them depends on the tank, tankmates, their comfort level, etc. When I had them I had a lot of plants, and discus, laetacara, mesonauta, and similar fish, and mine progressively ventured out more with time, particularly in the evening, but well before lights out in the tank. I found them entertaining in those circumstances.

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
Back when I kept them I didn't see a difference. Ime, similar to plecos, how much you see of them depends on the tank, tankmates, their comfort level, etc. When I had them I had a lot of plants, and discus, laetacara, mesonauta, and similar fish, and mine progressively ventured out more with time, particularly in the evening, but well before lights out in the tank. I found them entertaining in those circumstances.
Mine is going to live with Woodcats, Mesonauta, rubberlip pleco, Rummy Nose Tetra, Half Banded Eel and possibly Panda Cories. All reclusive fish as well apart from the cories and Tetras which are extremely peaceful.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Both are the same. Nocturnal and hides all the time. Can’t find mine in my tank lol.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
So I assume you wouldn’t recommend keeping one?
If ur expecting active and open swimming...then I’ll be disappointed. I keep them cause I like them and I know what to expect from them.

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
If ur expecting active and open swimming...then I’ll be disappointed. I keep them cause I like them and I know what to expect from them.
Ok cool. I love them too and I did know that they are pretty nocturnal but not exactly know how nocturnal they are. How often do you see them? If ever?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store