Stubborn flowerhorn

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
My KK was the same way for a month and a half. Lethargic, rarely ate. Never swam. The moment I added a female had hasn't stopped swimming.

Now hes a little piggy. I never treated him with anything but warmer water

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Most flowerhorns are sole fish in the tank. Showing mirror for sometime everyday can boost his hormones. I don't have anything against flowerhorn can not bored but having parasite is more likely than that. So starting with most likely reason (parasite, disease) would be a good idea. If he rule those out trying out tankmates won't do any harm.

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
I get it but I'm not gonna rush into a chemical treatment unless I know for sure. She's had the fish only a month. Some fish take a helluva lot longer to acclimate based on how long they were in the pet store and how.far they had to travel.

The fish doesn't look skinny or disporportionate. Take it one step at a time.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I get it but I'm not gonna rush into a chemical treatment unless I know for sure. She's had the fish only a month. Some fish take a helluva lot longer to acclimate based on how long they were in the pet store and how.far they had to travel.

The fish doesn't look skinny or disporportionate. Take it one step at a time.
Yep, I am not saying to start treating for any, rather look for signs of them.

Reactions: Fishenvy

Kittyflower

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2019
It has no signs of parasites or diseases. The poop is normal. The stomach isnt distended. It's an active fish. It even watches the tv with me. He loves to stare at himself at the top of the water. He has no defects on his scales either.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
It has no signs of parasites or diseases. The poop is normal. The stomach isnt distended. It's an active fish. It even watches the tv with me. He loves to stare at himself at the top of the water. He has no defects on his scales either.
Still keep a close eye for stress as well.

I would say, for now, it would be better to stay away from raw food and sticking to just pallets. Which one are you feeding? Also think about getting seachem garlic guard or similar to soak pallets before feeding him.

Flowerhorn Supply

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
In my experience importing/handling 100's of Flowerhorn, a fish that won't eat (especially frozen blood worms) most likely has internal parasites. I have never received a fish that would not eat within a couple days unless it was sick. Personally, I would keep the tank lights off, raise temp to 82-84, and treat with meds. I have had great sucsess with CZ Aqua Products CLEAR, but I have also used PraziPro, and General Cure. I highly doubt tank size or being bored has anything to do with it.

Kittyflower

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2019
I might try the general cure. But if it had internal parasites wouldn't there be some indication like in the poop or at least either bloating or a distended belly?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store