Stubborn flowerhorn

Kittyflower

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2019
I fasted him for 48 hours and I put food in and he ignored it but he was still swimming around. I then put in the general cure. He swam around crazy investigating it and now hes just sitting on the bottom of the tank. I think I'm losing him.

20200213_035614.jpg

Kittyflower

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2019
If he has parasites I dont want to put another fish at risk. This flowerhorn is an aggressive flowerhorn. When I was acclimating him in one of my tanks he was trying to attack my Oscar's (who are bigger than him) through the bag. I dont want to risk killing another fish just to save another. It wouldnt be fair or kind to the other fish. I also just medicated the tank so if I put in the fish I would be putting it in a medicated tank when it doesnt need the medication. Fish are capable of living by themselves. Especially flowerhorns. Which are actually suggested to live alone. If I have to lose him I will but I'm not going to kill multiple fish.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
General cure seems like a good way to go. Can you update on things you have changed or decided not to change (temperature, food)?

Edit: have you thought about getting garlic guard? Also what pallets are you feeding him?

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
If he has parasites I dont want to put another fish at risk. This flowerhorn is an aggressive flowerhorn. When I was acclimating him in one of my tanks he was trying to attack my Oscar's (who are bigger than him) through the bag. I dont want to risk killing another fish just to save another. It wouldnt be fair or kind to the other fish. I also just medicated the tank so if I put in the fish I would be putting it in a medicated tank when it doesnt need the medication. Fish are capable of living by themselves. Especially flowerhorns. Which are actually suggested to live alone. If I have to lose him I will but I'm not going to kill multiple fish.
You mentioned earlier you saw no signs of disease. Of course if you put another larger fish in the FH will attack it.

Do what you will but it's your fish your life. We are all gonna suggest but its upto you to choose your course of action.

Me personally I've never left my FH alone.

Sounds like you just need to go thru the motions and experiences. Good luck

Reactions: Flowerhorn Supply

Kittyflower

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2019
Of course and I appreciate the suggestions. But he is still within the first 6 week quarantine time. And boredom wouldn't kill him. I just wanted to show my train of thought on adding in more fish. I did put up the temp. I'm putting it up 2 degrees a day so I dont add more stress. As I already said I also put in the general cure in case theres an internal parasite I cant see. The foods I have tried are api pellets, topfin pellets, and hakari gold. The treats I've tried are omega one shrimp, bloodworms, and tubiworms. He reacts the same to all of them. I have thought about the garlic guard and I am going to look into what it does and how to get it. I dont do anything with my fish without researching first.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Of course and I appreciate the suggestions. But he is still within the first 6 week quarantine time. And boredom wouldn't kill him. I just wanted to show my train of thought on adding in more fish. I did put up the temp. I'm putting it up 2 degrees a day so I dont add more stress. As I already said I also put in the general cure in case theres an internal parasite I cant see. The foods I have tried are api pellets, topfin pellets, and hakari gold. The treats I've tried are omega one shrimp, bloodworms, and tubiworms. He reacts the same to all of them. I have thought about the garlic guard and I am going to look into what it does and how to get it. I dont do anything with my fish without researching first.
What temperature did you decide to target? It's a good idea to increase gradually.

For pallets it would be better to get NLS cichlid pallets or northfin cichlid formula or hikari bio gold plus.

Doing research and not taking any advice blindly is good. Just to aid your research seachem makes garlic guard. Garlic guard add garlic scent to fish, so that it would be attractive to fish.

Reactions: Kittyflower

Kittyflower

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2019
I'm not familiar with nls or northfin. I'm not sure my pet stores nearby sell them. Where would I be able to find those online? As well as the garlic guard? And an excellent idea of soaking the pellets in that or the bloodworms. I'm willing to try any food to keep him eating. I've wanted a flowerhorn for years so this has been rather hard on me.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
NLS is New life spectrum, you can find it or Northfin on amazon. Garlic guard you can get on amazon as well. Test if your fish eats blood worms first then think about soaking in it. It really depends on fish how long it will take to accept a different food than it is used to, he looks in good condition so don't worry much yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store