STUPID QUESTION...

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
I have a bit of a noob question. Im planning on building a sump filter in the future for my (also) future tank. the only thing that is confusing me about the construction of a sump is... how do u regulate how much water flows into the sump? All the do it yourself sections show how to make the actual sump... but not how to transfer the water from your tank to the sump.

anybody want to de-confuse me?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
NEVER try to regulate the water draining to the sump. Any and all attempts will result in failure.
Sumps fill through gravity draining (not siphon) from overflows in/on the tank. Either hang-on or bulkhead overflows are used. The level of the overflow determines the water level in the tank. Once the tank level reaches the bottom limit of the overflow, water flow ceases. A pump returns water from the sump to the tank. This 'filling' action of the return pump is what perpetuates the spill-over in the overflow's gravity drain.
Since the tank maintains a constant level, water loss (from evaporation) can only be observed in the sump.
A limiting factor on the size of the pump is the size of the overflow drain. Single 3/4" drains have a flow restricted to 600gph or less. So, choose the size of your drain by the rate of the pump needed (at head). You're looking for anywhere from 5-10 full tank cycles per hour. At head is the amount of water flow at the point where the water actually enters the tank. An example would be a pump rated at 1200gph would have a drop in flow of 400gph at a 5ft head (pump-in-sump to tank). So, the actual water circulation of the system is 800gph due to the head loss of that pump.

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
Thanks! I actually just figured it out myself before I read that reply. But now it all makes sense.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store