Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
What size would you expect?

1. Yes, there is for sure a great competition but they have their time to collect herring laying around while most others are busy with the pellets.
2. They could be too warm, which means stress.
3. The donor farmer didn't tell me anything about their prior history. I assume they probably were in a group that was underperforming and subject to culling. We got them in Apr 2020 at a bit under 2 years old at 2 or 2.5 feet. Their pectoral fins were curled up (got better but still are) from swimming circles by a wall in a round above ground pond since birth and they weren't fat.

Reactions: Chub_by

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
What size would you expect?

1. Yes, there is for sure a great competition but they have their time to collect herring laying around while most others are busy with the pellets.
2. They could be too warm, which means stress.
3. The donor farmer didn't tell me anything about their prior history. I assume they probably were in a group that was underperforming and subject to culling. We got them in Apr 2020 at a bit under 2 years old at 2 or 2.5 feet. Their pectoral fins were curled up (got better but still are) from swimming circles by a wall in a round above ground pond since birth and they weren't fat.
I'm not sure which size I'd expect since I've never seen reliable info on their growth in tropical climates (albeit I'm led to believe they're being raised in Malaysia and Singapore now) however they grow at about the same rate around here where albeit they feed year round they do slow down considerably in winter.

Your other comments definitely make sense as to why they'd grow slower, though. I'd love to see some videos of them eating the herring, I've only ever seen sturgeon eat pellets which is quite unspectacular lol.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They feed on herring spectacularly :) They don't spit the herring out if they suck them in wrong way - tail first or sideways. Instead they rearrange the herring in their mouth by doing very violent moves. It can be found in some prior videos, e.g. video in post #11, 1:20-1:40 min.

Reactions: Chub_by

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
What we need is to stop trying to keep fish that grow to ginormous sizes, there are sturgeons that only grow to a meter or less and do quite well in water in the mid 70's.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
At 20-30 yo beluga sturgeon are only about 6ft-8ft in captivity and almost not growing anymore. May I continue keeping it?

• Haha
Reactions: RD. and Moontanman

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
At 20-30 yo beluga sturgeon are only about 6ft-8ft in captivity. May I continue keeping it?
If you are set up to keep such a large fish then please continue but we both know that the vast majority of hobbyists are not so equipped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store