Sturgeon Help!!

Erno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Optimal temperature of Siberian sturgeon 53- 64 degrees
They can tolerate low temperatures without samples, but at high temperatures they quickly weaken and they lose immunity

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
We see our smaller siberians at the farm do okay up to 80 degrees, but only if they have pristine water quality. Those in denser systems don't do well above 72 degrees. Even so, we experience much higher mortality at these temperatures than during the winter when they are in the mid 60's. Because we are a commercial farm we don't let the temperatures go below 55 degrees as it slows their growth rate.

You may have just had an individual that does poorly at such temperatures. Not every egg grows up to be a winner. Especially not in a challenging environment!

Sorry for your loss

Reactions: J. H.

Fishowner

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2015
We see our smaller siberians at the farm do okay up to 80 degrees, but only if they have pristine water quality. Those in denser systems don't do well above 72 degrees. Even so, we experience much higher mortality at these temperatures than during the winter when they are in the mid 60's. Because we are a commercial farm we don't let the temperatures go below 55 degrees as it slows their growth rate.

You may have just had an individual that does poorly at such temperatures. Not every egg grows up to be a winner. Especially not in a challenging environment!

Sorry for your loss
Thank you for your information. All messages here I will will record personally to myself to better myself as a fish hobbyist.

Erno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Below the temperature, the higher the oxygen content and the lower the metabolism of fish, I think you will win on this when keeping them in the aquarium.

Erno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017

Sorry for your loss
I've been practicing sturgeon for more than 10 years.
We grow them as an aquaculture object, we also breed this species and we get caviar for food purposes.

There are normative documents, where there are records of optimal temperatures for growing sturgeon of different species and age.
Temperature 80 is a very high temperature for this species (both for fry and for adult fish).

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I've been practicing sturgeon for more than 10 years.
We grow them as an aquaculture object, we also breed this species and we get caviar for food purposes.

There are normative documents, where there are records of optimal temperatures for growing sturgeon of different species and age.
Temperature 80 is a very high temperature for this species (both for fry and for adult fish).
Correct! Our operation is known for being the Siberian farm closest to the equator. Temperature is a delicate trade-off for us. Too high and they start to die, too low and we can't produce enough biomass. However, it should be noted that in the wild these fish become sexually mature at around 15 years of age. Here we do it in 5! But we do run chillers at all times to keep the temperature in check.

Erno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Correct! Our operation is known for being the Siberian farm closest to the equator. Temperature is a delicate trade-off for us. Too high and they start to die, too low and we can't produce enough biomass. However, it should be noted that in the wild these fish become sexually mature at around 15 years of age. Here we do it in 5! But we do run chillers at all times to keep the temperature in check.
We have an average water temperature of 60 degrees, the fish ripens for 6-7 years.
To calculate the approximate time of ripening, we use such terms as degree - day
For Siberian sturgeon it is 38000-42000 degrees - days (celsius).
That is, the higher the temperature, the faster the fish ripens.
But in the Siberian oster, which is grown in warm water, it quickly becomes obese and it is very difficult to get caviar from such individuals. I have photos, if you want, I can share them

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
We have an average water temperature of 60 degrees, the fish ripens for 6-7 years.
To calculate the approximate time of ripening, we use such terms as degree - day
For Siberian sturgeon it is 38000-42000 degrees - days (celsius).
That is, the higher the temperature, the faster the fish ripens.
But in the Siberian oster, which is grown in warm water, it quickly becomes obese and it is very difficult to get caviar from such individuals. I have photos, if you want, I can share them
Yeah I'd love to see them! I'm not familiar with Siberian oster. Do you mean ossetra / Russian sturgeon (Acipenser gueldenstaedtii)? I will have to compare your degree days to ours. I don't think we have done that past the larval cycle before. We determine sex at 3 years of age and most of our females in a cohort are harvested by 5-6 years of age.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store