Sturgeon Water Temp

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
I’ve been doing loads of research in regards to the Siberian Sturgeon and one piece of information seems to be skipped over on every site:
Firstly, I know that Siberian sturgeon can “handle” warmer waters for a time at least.
From what I read, most that end up dying die due to the lower oxygen levels of warm water or a complication due to it.
My question is, with proper aeration and dissolved oxygen, would Siberian or Siberian hybrids be maintained happily in a warmer tank (say, 75 degrees) or does the water temperature itself also play a role in the eventual death of the fish?
I see videos of larger (3’) in semi tropical tanks in Asia but I assume someone simply bought those at that size and added them in.
My main concern Is my fish room gets warm and sometimes even my unheated tubs get around 73-76 degrees for a week at times. I want to know if sufficient oxygen supply can avoid issues or I need to purchase a chiller.

thanks

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
I’ve been doing loads of research in regards to the Siberian Sturgeon and one piece of information seems to be skipped over on every site:
Firstly, I know that Siberian sturgeon can “handle” warmer waters for a time at least.
From what I read, most that end up dying die due to the lower oxygen levels of warm water or a complication due to it.
My question is, with proper aeration and dissolved oxygen, would Siberian or Siberian hybrids be maintained happily in a warmer tank (say, 75 degrees) or does the water temperature itself also play a role in the eventual death of the fish?
I see videos of larger (3’) in semi tropical tanks in Asia but I assume someone simply bought those at that size and added them in.
My main concern Is my fish room gets warm and sometimes even my unheated tubs get around 73-76 degrees for a week at times. I want to know if sufficient oxygen supply can avoid issues or I need to purchase a chiller.

thanks
Getting some from pfins?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Getting some from pfins?
no way haha. I know some local pond shops who have a permit to bring them in. So far I have 3, I might get a fourth.

Reactions: dr exum and tcav88

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Those kind of constant year round temps would be stressful.
I lived in Wisconsin where sturgeon were common, in summer most would move below the thermocline where water remained in the 50s-60s 'F range.
If I were getting Siberians (with similar temps to Wisconsin) I'd be investing in a chiller.
Here in Panama, people who keep koi, goldfish and other similar type species (they are popular here) most aquarists have chillers.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Those kind of constant year round temps would be stressful.
I lived in Wisconsin where sturgeon were common, in summer most would move below the thermocline where water remained in the 50s-60s 'F range.
If I were getting Siberians (with similar temps to Wisconsin) I'd be investing in a chiller.
Here in Panama, people who keep koi, goldfish and other similar type species (they are popular here) most aquarists have chillers.
Thanks for the info. Ill definitely be jumping on the chiller then. Could you explain why Siberians will grow so fast in warm water but thrive in cold water? Thats one of the weird conundrums thats confusing me. I get the O2 issue 100%. I also understand warmer water = metabolic increase. But if the body is in conditions to raise metabolism wouldnt the surroundings be somewhat survivable? Or is it like a runner that can't stop in that his metabolic rate is heightened but he's slowly burning himself out.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
It seems to me most cold water species I've kept do most of their growth in the summer months.
My Uruguayan Gymnogeophagine cichlids only put on real growth during the warm months, and growth stalls during their cool down, and the growth during those warm months seems very rapid.
But after winter cool down (rest period), colors also intensify.
Before I realized the Uruguayans needed this dormancy period, I tried keeping them at constant tropical temps, and they had shortened, unhealthy lives.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
It seems to me most cold water species I've kept do most of their growth in the summer months.
My Uruguayan Gymnogeophagine cichlids only put on real growth during the warm months, and growth stalls during their cool down, and the growth during those warm months seems very rapid.
But after winter cool down (rest period), colors also intensify.
Before I realized the Uruguayans needed this dormancy period, I tried keeping them at constant tropical temps, and they had shortened, unhealthy lives.
Interesting, well Im starting to really enjoy the koi/sturgeon look and so I believe a very large, chilled, tub is in order!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
As you may know from some of my previous posts, I am not a fan of modern line-bred-for color fish.
But 1000 years ago, before there were glass aquariums, if someone wanted captive fish, a pond was almost the only way.
Most natural color fish are almost invisible form above, they developed that way to help avoid predators from above.
Even something like a sturgeon will be only occasionally seen in a pond large and deep enough to properly hold them.
So goldfish were developed allowing pond keepers to actually see their fish, and eventually the 1800s koi.
I have kept many temperate water cichlids in ponds, and as soon as I introduce them, they disappear, and I barely ever see the natural colored fish the entire summer, until I would drain the pond to bring them in for the winter.
In reality the only fish ever visible in my ponds were the koi and goldfish, and because of 1000 years of line breeding I accept that tradition even though it goes against my anal line breeding abhorrence.
1601240710183.png
In the pond above natural color cichlids outnumber the carp, but as you can see, you can't see them.
I was lucky to catch the one below, at just the right time when the sun hit perfectly.
1601240936043.png
Below the same cichlid, as seen from the side in an aquarium.
1601241022908.png

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Beauties! Im starting to gain more appreciation for koi and goldfish as well. As I do more digging about blood lines and such I plan on getting a few down the road. My plan with the sturgeon (and eventually koi) in the short term will actually be to put them in a 550g then 1200g fiberglass tub with viewing window so I can fully appreciate them during their adolescence and once thats outgrown I'll get a large above ground pool and tile the bottom to really contrast the fish. My dream would be a few 5' sturgeon and a small school of skeleton koi over a blue and tan background.

Reactions: MatteoTheEnder22

Ed123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2016
Trabuco canyon
If you don’t mind me asking, where are you getting them from? Are you willing to ship me some? And my experience with sturgeon (white) is that they have a narrow margin of quick growth (65-68 for mine with a lot of aeration). A chiller was really nice to have in this case as the summer temps would likely kill them. Although there was one time when my chiller gave out and the water temp was up to 75. He didn’t seem fazed at all and even continued eating. It wasn’t until my aeration broke that I lost him. One thing to realize with (white) sturgeon is that their activity is very dependent on the moons. During grunion runs (4 nights involving a full or new moon) I would never get any sleep since it was so active. On every other day it was very mellow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store