Sturisoma

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
hey i have a royal whipatil my problem is that i can't figure if it is sturisoma aurem or sturisoma panamense.

that is the colour of him(or her).that is labelled as panamense

this is aurem is this not the same fish? which is which?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
One looks browner, one looks yellowish tan - check google images and see what you come up with?

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
they re off google and im getting the same fish.
probably different lighting/cameras. its just i was attaracted to getting a royal because of that amazing dorsal fin and im hoping that its aurem.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
i think those are 2 different species. The royal ones are often Sturisoma panamense. I believe S. aureum are the smallest in the genus. They come from the same river, just the panamense is found further downstream, and it is often the two get mixed together in shipments.

apistomaster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Clarkston, WA
davo;890478; said:
i think those are 2 different species. The royal ones are often Sturisoma panamense. I believe S. aureum are the smallest in the genus. They come from the same river, just the panamense is found further downstream, and it is often the two get mixed together in shipments.
Surisoma panamense is from Panama.

Sturisoma is from the Rio Magdelene, Colombia and is perhaps the most widely available species. S. aureum:

and close up:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
apistomaster;891218; said:
Surisoma panamense is from Panama.

Sturisoma is from the Rio Magdelene, Colombia and is perhaps the most widely available species. [/IMG]
not quite sure what you mean, but S. panamense is from the panama pacific rivers, columbia pacific and caribean rivers and ecuador pacific coast rivers. S. aureum are found in the columbia caribean rivers- specifically the rio magdelene, and is common in the upper magdalena (and trib.) and downriver you shall find S. panamense, and so occasionally you find them shipped in together. I agree that the aureum (if thats what you meant) is the most commonly available. I believe they get muddled up with S. festivum. My knowledge isn't as good with these fish as it is with plecos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store