Styrofoam or lighting egg crates inside tank underneath decor?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Some years ago it was fashion to put ceiling light plastikolite egg crates on the tank bottom, so that the weight of large rocks is distributed and as cushion. Then I heard about styrofoam, which makes sense, too. Even sounds easier in many ways.

What do/did you guys use? If styrofoam, then which? The pink insulation?

Thx
HarleyK

Reactions: Matteus

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I haven’t done any backgrounds. I know a few who have and those few use the Corning pink styrofoam.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Them plastic lighting diffuser sheets are hard. If you had a layer as protection on the bottom of your tank and you accidently dropped a biggish rock on top, there would still be a chance of a crack in your bottom panel. I bet styrofoam would offer better protection if a rock fell on it, it offers better cushioning.

Styrofoam is buoyant though, whereas lighting diffuser generally sinks, so you'd have to bear that in mind when choosing what size rocks to put on what size piece. Rock too small compared to size of styrofoam sheet and you have a raft with a rock on it! Rock falls off raft, bottom panel cracks.

Best thing about styrofoam too is that you can buy it in different thicknesses, ideal for big ass rocks in Malawi set ups for example.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I originally used the drop ceiling egg crate type under rocks in my 220G Malawi tank but eventually removed it as it traps too much crap plus the fish tended to expose it. The rocks currently sit directly on the glass bottom of the tank. Just be sure no substrate gets under the rocks when placing them.

I did make a DIY cement and real rock background and used the pink or blue sill sealer foam (very thin) as a cushion under this background and it worked well. Cut it to fit slightly larger than the width of the background so as to avoid seeing any parts exposed by the fish. It will float up though if dislodged when you move the rocks.

Either method, just take great care so as not to drop rocks from above. I used thick towels in a dry tank when setting rocks before substrate.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Put silicone "feet" on the bottom of your big rocks so they do not actually touch the glass.

It's an easy way to make rocks "sit up straight" when they don't quite want to.

Let it dry well before putting it under water.

You can make the silicone blobs, and then sprinkle sand on them, so they never show when the fish dig up the bottom.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The rocks currently sit directly on the glass bottom of the tank. Just be sure no substrate gets under the rocks when placing them.
+1 This is how I have always placed large boulders in my tanks, no need for light diffuser and/or styro.

A past thread on this topic.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I never like to put big rocks directly on the glass.

I don't have to do it, so I just don't do it.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Instead of styrofoam i used to use yogamatts cut to pieces. It dont take that much space as the styrofoam does and its easier to hide with substrate. But the last couple of years ive been leaning towards barebottom tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store