styrofoam under tank?

retiredrunner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
Alabama
Carpet padding works really well also. I put it under my stand and between my tank and the top of the stand. Good carpet padding is made to support some really heavy stuff. I agree that it def isnt going to hurt anything to use some kind of padding so why risk it? No stand is perfectly level so there is always a chance some kind of pressure point could build up over time and then you have a living room full of water.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
3/4 inch foam from Home Depot . I would definatley do this if the top of the stand is solid and not just a frame that the tank sit s on

Radius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2006
VIctoria, BC, Canada
The foam board is a good idea, but I think I like cork more. It'll compress, but not as much as foam and I think would last longer in the end. Plus foam has a way of chipping over time and getting all over the place.

I'm currently designing and getting materials together for a stand I need on a new 240g tank, I never even considered foam under it until now.

Gooda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
You know, I never even heard about putting padding under the tank before...

I think that is a good idea. Better then losing a tank

Thanks

Radius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2006
VIctoria, BC, Canada
Years ago my grandparents used to manage an appartment complex, and on the 5th floor of one of the buildings a guy made his own 200g tank. After he filled it, it blew apart and flooded the apartment and hallway.

I have no idea if the stand was the culprit, but it taught me to always over-engineer and to put every available safety feature into the design you can. You can never go wrong doing it that way.

Saku

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2006
Ontario
KNH said:
Home Depot carries the foam board that I used. You can use either the blue or pink. Foam board is cheap insurance to help your tank last a long time.
KNH
Just set up a 300 gal with the pink stuff underneath (they were out of blue). Worth the peace of mind IMO. :thumbsup:

Radius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2006
VIctoria, BC, Canada
I just realized...

Is this just for stands with a piece of plywood on top? What about stands with an "open top", but that I mean ones that have the support ribs exposed and no plywood on top. Do you use the foam on those too?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I do not trust open frame stands for large tanks (55g and up) I cap them with 5/8" or 3?4" plywood and top that with fine grain corkboard.

Radius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2006
VIctoria, BC, Canada
Ok, good to know. I plan on using 3/4" oak for my entire stand, top to bottom so I'll make sure to add foam or cork.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store