sub-species of Protopterus aethiopicus

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
What are the differences of the sup-species of the marble lungfish. I understand that P. aethiopicus aethiopicus gets about 2 feet longer and significantly thicker than P. aethiopicus congicus, but I have no idea of distinguishing between them when they are young. Also there is no information on P. aethiopicus mesmaekersi, so I would also like to know the size and distinguishing characteristics of this sub-species.

Reactions: Ash_water

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
I figured the difference between congicus and aethiopicus. P. a. aethiopicus has a more marbled pattern and it is apperently the most often sold, based on the fact that most are aethiopicus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILf3tBgQ5b4&feature=related these are all aethiopicus. Notice the black spot are more like the spangling of a cichlid.

the first pic is from a restricted webstie, my bad. I would really appreciated if someone could point me to a place that yall can see, that I can upload pic from WW, cuz there are some really good pics that could be used for id help.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
The Protopterus aethiopicus congicus has spots like P. annectens except everywhere. The spots are large and are not spangling. Also if it has a dark top and a light belly, then it probably isn't congicus.
All of these are congicus

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
There is no info about Protopterus aethiopicus mesmaekersi but this might be it. It doesn't look like P. a. a. or P. a. c.
it is from MFK user MyGaints, so if you could get a clearer pic, that would be great. :D

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
U sure about this? Most commonly sold marble lungfish is the protopterus aethiopicus congicus and even albinos and leusistics are available and some rare piebald too. Sometimes protopterus aethiopicus are being mix in the batch during export as all are just being labled as marble lungfish. As for the patterns differents, all will end up with tiny little mosaic like patterns. How to tell the difference is lookinh at the head patterns. A protopterus aethiopicus arthiopicus will have a small dotted or freckled like patterns all over the snout unevenly. While protopterus aethiopicus congics will have patterns on the forehead running through the snout, forming a line. As for the pic of protopterus aethiopicus mesmaekersi that u have is actually the opposite. Protopterus aethiopicus mesmaekersi have smaller dotted patterns and are lighter compared to the protopterus aethiopicus congicus which is much larger. Both fish can be found in the same area, thus they usually get mix up.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
U sure about this? Most commonly sold marble lungfish is the protopterus aethiopicus congicus and even albinos and leusistics are available and some rare piebald too. Sometimes protopterus aethiopicus are being mix in the batch during export as all are just being labled as marble lungfish. As for the patterns differents, all will end up with tiny little mosaic like patterns. How to tell the difference is lookinh at the head patterns. A protopterus aethiopicus arthiopicus will have a small dotted or freckled like patterns all over the snout unevenly. While protopterus aethiopicus congics will have patterns on the forehead running through the snout, forming a line. As for the pic of protopterus aethiopicus mesmaekersi that u have is actually the opposite. Protopterus aethiopicus mesmaekersi have smaller dotted patterns and are lighter compared to the protopterus aethiopicus congicus which is much larger. Both fish can be found in the same area, thus they usually get mix up.
I didn't mean to pass this off as fact, I meant this as like a "this is what I found through internet research and I made assumptions" :D

The reason I'm saying P. a. a. (PAA) are sold the most, is because out of all the lungfish pics they are mostly PAA, and the reason I think most of the pic are PAA is because PAA are the largest P. aethiopicus have that spangled pattern. When you say the congicus snout forrm a line, how big are the spots? Is there really a difference in spot size between PAA and PAC? Is it just a coincidence that all the largest ones have the spangled pattern (that question isn't pointed, I know it sounds that way)

What would you label the picture I posted as?
As for the sentence were you said "As for the patterns differents, all will end up with tiny little mosaic like patterns." There are some pics of youngs ones with spangled pattern put they are on WW.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
No size difference on the spots except for the protopterus aethiopicus mesmaekersi. Most of the pics posted online are protopterus aethiopicus congicus. Reason why they are common as they are the being breed in captivity and are easily available in the wild as well. Also easier and cheaper route for export than getting a protopterus aethipicus aethipicus in east africa. Many of the wild caught being for sale comes in west and central africa. Even many supplier have a hard time getting suppliers from east africa. Become a fish exporter/importer. You will understand more than looking for pics online. As the more you see in personal and know the location they came from the more you can tell the difference. Looking for pics online as for the reference is not really accurate as many of the original post are mostly ID wrong and google sometimes mix them up when youn search.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store