Submersible pump for water changes

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Any of the Mag pumps will work. I use a mag 18 to drain. Takes literally minutes. Find a used Mag pump on one of the fish forums or EBay.
Mag 18 to use just to drain the tank ?

Quite an expensive way to go. Just get any cheap submersible pump. Does not even have to be that powerful. I use a no-name pond pump rated @ 300gph to drain and pump the water back.

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON

Quite an expensive way to go. Just get any cheap submersible pump. Does not even have to be that powerful. I use a no-name pond pump rated @ 300gph to drain and pump the water back.
Had it sitting around. I didn't say go out and buy a mag 18? Re-ready my post. I said ANY mag will do. Get a used one for the fraction of the price.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

Agree. For just draining purposes, go cheap. Here's what I use for my two 29gal on the second floor:
IMG_20140703_172307.jpg

I cut the hose about a foot at one end and wedge it really firmly into the output (its actually in there super tight). When I do the w/c, I just screw on the other section of hose and drain into the my bath tub. Then to refill, I put the pump section into a 5gal bucket, fill the bucket up in the tub, and run the other end of the hose into the tanks. I only do it this way because I can't utilize a python type system on my second floor fixtures. The pump pictured is rated at 700gph and cost me well under $30 and its been working just fine for nearly a year now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/710-GPH-Sub...rhead-Fountain-Water-Hydroponic-/251163129225

IMG_20140703_172307.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store