Substrate change?

Jox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I have a 55 gallon tank temporarily holding three spiny eels. And I thought they would be fine but they seem to be constantly scratching their skin on it. It heals back but I want them to be as comfortable as possible. And I dont want anything serious to happen to them. So I want to change it to sand but I was wondering how.

Slim2634

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Central Ohio
And also how many lbs of sand should I use.
not sure about sand but i use the 1-1 1/2 lbs of gravel per gallon so maybe just put in about 40-45 lbs and go from there. but just drain all the water and save about 50 % if you havent recently done a water change and save about 75 if you have. and change the substrate and put it back in.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
When I went from gravel to sand I just used a small cooking strainer and scooped it out. Just clean the gravel really well before you remove it.

When you get the sand, just wash it really well.

I used 50lbs of sand on my 55 and it gave it a good 1 1/2in layer. I just use quickcrete playsand that I got from Lowes. 50lb for $5. It doesn't contain silica so it is safe for all fish.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
check into pool filter sand:) I love that stuff.
If you have a filter with a lot of biological media, you can just scoop out the old and put in the new all at once.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store