Substrate Pros and Cons

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Out of that list I think I would try a group of Firemouths 2 males 5 females and a Oscar, I know fm are c/a and oscars south American but theres a good chance of it working.

Reactions: J. H.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I think your list could work, especially if the JD and GT were female. I would replace the convict with a less aggressive species, even though he is the smallest fish on the list they seriously are little badasses. Nanoluteus would be a good replacement.
Personally, I am a fan of keeping cichlids in groups of their own species, and if I were in your shoes I would do something like Dan suggested. 1 Oscar and a group of 5 smaller cichlids. species options would be: firemouth (or any thoricthys), nanoluteus, panamensis, centrarchus, septemfasciatus, any amatitlania really except regular old convicts. (convicts probably would work if Oscar is larger, but are meaner than the other options I gave)

Reactions: Drstrangelove

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
If you drop all the big ol' SOBs (Oscar, amphilophus, GT, convict, etc), you can have an American com tank in a 125 . Chocolates geophaguses, thorichthys, acaras, flags, severums, angels etc can all be kept in such a tank without endless issues. To keep the nastier SA/CA in a community, you really need two or three tanks, one of which is like 1200 liters. Its like having a bunch of pet dragons.

kiwiraka

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2017
Thanks both of you for your replies.
I don't think many of those species are available in nz.
And I definitely don't want to drop the oscar. I might try 2-4 of the larger fish with some dither fish.
I've got decent sized tanks to separate the fish plus two dividers for the main tank if anything starts going south.
If it doesn't work, I'll replace the big fish (apart from the oscar) with something like clown loaches and just have the one big feature fish.
Cheers

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I think the list you posted could work too, big water changes and good filtration is a must. I'd also suggest you start with more fish rather than less, then remove the spares and trouble-makers as they grow.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One of the problems I see in not using substrate, is lack of surface area for beneficial bacteria.
With sand or gravel, every particles exposed area, crack or crevice has surface area for benefials to colonies with biofilm. With bare bottom you reduce that area significantly.
You can make up for it, by having over filtration, with lots of extra media.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
One of the problems I see in not using substrate, is lack of surface area for beneficial bacteria.
With sand or gravel, every particles exposed area, crack or crevice has surface area for benefials to colonies with biofilm. With bare bottom you reduce that area significantly.
You can make up for it, by having over filtration, with lots of extra media.
Exactly. Bare tanks can be a formula for requiring more water changes (or bigger filtration) than an ecologically more active/balanced tank. It's why, for example, some discus keepers think you need big, daily water changes. Big protein, heavy feed, bare tank, a fish not fond of a lot of current and, sure, you would need lots of water changes. However, not necessary with a different approach to keeping them that includes a more ecologically balanced tank, more moderate feed/protein, etc. I know, I kept them for years and, yes, they still got big... Just an example, same principle for any other fish I've kept and bred, new or old world.

Different approaches can work, but I prefer a balanced tank and less work. Also why I went all sand in my tanks years ago, do it right and far less substrate cleaning needed than gravel. Stock and feed modestly, modest direct sunlight, include fish that do some sand sifting and the need for sand cleaning can be low to almost non-existent.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store