Substrateless tank

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Clearwater, FL/ Janesville, WI
It's been a few days since I tossed some sand in the bottom of the little dudes tank. I've actually noticed a huge difference in his demeanor. He's considerably more confident as he moves around his tank. He's even starting to buzz up to the front of the glass when I come into the room. In my opinion a bare bottom tank would be fine for some species or during a quarantine period, after that it would certainly be beneficial to the animal to have some type of substrate.

Morticia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2016
It's been a few days since I tossed some sand in the bottom of the little dudes tank. I've actually noticed a huge difference in his demeanor. He's considerably more confident as he moves around his tank. He's even starting to buzz up to the front of the glass when I come into the room. In my opinion a bare bottom tank would be fine for some species or during a quarantine period, after that it would certainly be beneficial to the animal to have some type of substrate.
This post is pretty old. Majora my Fahaka has been in a tank with a sand bottom for a while now. It really turned him around and his personality came out. I had such an issue with parasites I don't regret having him in a glass bottom tank for a while. I think it really helped me get the issue under control. But they are clearly more comfortable with a sand bottom. One of Majoras favorite things is burrowing into the sand.

IMG_2283.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt_Rick_Dixie

Morticia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2016
I wish I had a more recent picture of him burrowing, but now whenever I come near his tank he swims up to beg for more food.

IMG_2288.PNG

IMG_2289.PNG

IMG_2290.PNG

Morticia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2016
Whoops! I must have bumped into this thread and forgot to look and see how old it was! haha

Majora is looking great and that tank looks a lot better with the sand imo!
He will be a year old next month. He's small for his age which is concerning. However I swear he grew two inches already this month. Maybe a growth spurt is coming. I recently introduced cichlids to his tank and it's gone surprising well. Hopefully he will have a very large tank to call home soon. I'm looking a minimum of 150. Fingers crossed I get it in the very near future. He's been a blast to raise once he got past his sickly days as a baby. He's still a baby, but he's much hardier now. Although I do miss him being tiny he was just too cute. Now he's the size of my hand ❤

IMG_2327.PNG

IMG_2328.PNG

IMG_2329.PNG

IMG_2336.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

Capt_Rick_Dixie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Clearwater, FL/ Janesville, WI
He will be a year old next month. He's small for his age which is concerning. However I swear he grew two inches already this month. Maybe a growth spurt is coming. I recently introduced cichlids to his tank and it's gone surprising well. Hopefully he will have a very large tank to call home soon. I'm looking a minimum of 150. Fingers crossed I get it in the very near future. He's been a blast to raise once he got past his sickly days as a baby. He's still a baby, but he's much hardier now. Although I do miss him being tiny he was just too cute. Now he's the size of my hand ❤

View attachment 1278118

View attachment 1278119

View attachment 1278120

View attachment 1278121

View attachment 1278122
He's adorable! My baby is definitely still in his sickly baby days, although it seems as if he's grown about half an inch since I got him. When Majora was little was he a finicky eater? Mine will eat ghost shrimp just fine if I hold them for him (usually he can't catch them by himself :D) but anything else he takes a bite of and spits it out.

Morticia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2016
He's adorable! My baby is definitely still in his sickly baby days, although it seems as if he's grown about half an inch since I got him. When Majora was little was he a finicky eater? Mine will eat ghost shrimp just fine if I hold them for him (usually he can't catch them by himself :D) but anything else he takes a bite of and spits it out.
Majora wouldn't eat anything other than live ghost shrimp, blood worms, and snails. I never held the shrimp. I didn't want my hand associated with food. The first shrimp took a few days for him to catch, but he learned and has become a very skilled hunter. Now he likes crab legs and will eat frozen shrimp, and pretty much anything that goes into the tank. At one point every local store had ran out of ghost shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store