[Sudo: Real Black Sand] substrate suitable for bichirs?

kinokunya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
Singapore
Hello people,

Thinking of using the above as the substrate for my 60x23x28 bichir tank.
I'd be housing 2 albino sens at the moment, but I've read stories of bichirs accidentally eating and choking on the gravel while feeding.

Please advice.
Thank you!

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
That should be fine. Just make sure it's not coarse enough to cut the bichir's. Since it has an Angel on the front I'm pretty sure it's good for freshwater.

uwe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Germany
Hello,

i also keeping my bichirs with black substrate. Looks cool and is helping to give the bichir's colouration to its best ...
But: Black gravel ISN'T black gravel! Mine is a more "synthetic" Product, animal-friendly due to missing sharp edges!
Unfortunately it is even quite common to offer this OBSIDIAN sand or gravel in pet shops. Good way to kill bottom dwellers!
Obsidian is a vulcanic product, often sandy on those "dream coasts" - i think there are also any islands in the Pacific with beaches full of them. In the more European hemisphere The island Teneriffa (Baleares) is one of the most popular examples of this type of beach.
But back to the unfortunate circumcisions: This black gravel looks cool on the beach - and it looks cool in the tank - and kills everyone who eats a bit from the gravel. Razor-sharp (Obsidian do have a very sharp way to break, much more "efficient" than normal glass!) it will cut its way through the unlucky gourmet.

So, please, look WHAT kind of gravel you have!!!

Greetings
Uwe

ymolina

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
illinois
remember if you use black sand the bichirs will eventually get a black tint to them.

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
ymolina;3472643; said:
remember if you use black sand the bichirs will eventually get a black tint to them.
r u referring to the fact that they adjust their colors to match the surrounding? or saying something in the sand dyes them black

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
ymolina;3472643; said:
and i don't see anything bad in this happening. in fact some people, including me, want their bichirs darker rather than light and dull.

kinokunya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
Singapore
I've used the above substrate for my lone albino sen at my office. It seems to be doing fine after its first long weekend at the office with an empty stomach. While feeding this morning it seems to be able to differentiate between his Hikari pellets and the black sand.
I think I will use same substrate for my albino sens tank at home too. :)

Even with a filter running, the water in my bichir tank still lets off a slight stench. Has it something to do with the Hikari sinking carnivore pellets? Any experienced owners who might be able to provide some insight?

Thank you.

ymolina

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
illinois
yea i was thinking of doin that. they will adjust ther coloring to match ther surroundings. but i dont know if i want to do that yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store