Suggestions on dry food that's not full of cheap garbage?

BadGaskets

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
As I've kept fish over the past 35 years I've become way more picky over what I feed my fish. I'm lucky enough to live near the coast so I harvest mullet, shrimp, shellfish etc for nearly free but it's quite a lot of work.

I've also found that my fish are healthier if I avoid the more common brands of fish food. Especially my catfish, characins, and cichlids. Most livebearer and cyprinids seem to eat nearly anything without issue.

I get really frustrated when I see stuff like wheat, dehulled wheat germ, soybean anything, corn starch, "vegetable oil" (in quotes, because its literally never a vegetable based oil). None of that horseshit is something fish eat in the wild and I'm convinced most of it is cheapass filler.

I've used New Life Spectrum quite a lot as well as "whole" freeze dried foods, and seemingly as long as I use mostly those, I tend to have healthier fish. My catfish don't ever seem to bloat, my cichlids spawn more regularly, etc.

Are there any other brands out there I should consider? I seem to remember seeing others that had better ingredients but they seem to be harder to find.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As I've kept fish over the past 35 years I've become way more picky over what I feed my fish. I'm lucky enough to live near the coast so I harvest mullet, shrimp, shellfish etc for nearly free but it's quite a lot of work.

I've also found that my fish are healthier if I avoid the more common brands of fish food. Especially my catfish, characins, and cichlids. Most livebearer and cyprinids seem to eat nearly anything without issue.

I get really frustrated when I see stuff like wheat, dehulled wheat germ, soybean anything, corn starch, "vegetable oil" (in quotes, because its literally never a vegetable based oil). None of that horseshit is something fish eat in the wild and I'm convinced most of it is cheapass filler.

I've used New Life Spectrum quite a lot as well as "whole" freeze dried foods, and seemingly as long as I use mostly those, I tend to have healthier fish. My catfish don't ever seem to bloat, my cichlids spawn more regularly, etc.

Are there any other brands out there I should consider? I seem to remember seeing others that had better ingredients but they seem to be harder to find.
Ocean Nutrition is the only other decent brand I can think of.

Reactions: BadGaskets

Something Fishy Here

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2022
I've read many threads listing northfin as another high quality choice but personally have only used nls for close to 2 decades now. If your fish aren't jumping at it perhaps you haven't found the right blend yet, or are feeding them too often. I don't keep a lot of tanks and mostly keep new world cichlids and community fish but have had none refuse to eat nls. I've tried many varieties and all get eaten, but if you're trying to get a fish into them id suggest thera+ it makes my fish dance the most, maybe the garlic in it.

BadGaskets

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2023
Fwiw my fish love NLS brand. The only food they go for quicker is "Ken's meat wafers" which I bought during a time where we were pinching pennies. Not sure what Ken puts in those meat wafers but nearly everything in my tank goes into freak-out mode when they hit the water.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm not criticizing Ken's Foods by my post, for what it's worth, they are a great value but from the ingredients I've seen, I've seen a lot of the same ingredients that I consider unnecessary and unusual to fish.
I didn't think you were and agree fish love it 😆

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Northfin and NLS are my go to brands, and I'm very particular about food quality as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store