Sulfur Denitrators are awesome (my experience)

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
Hi everyone, I did not see a good thread about Sulfur Dentrators, so I thought I'd post my experience.
These are used in reef tanks, but also work excellent on fresh water.

I have a 300 gallon Malawi tank that is overstocked. It has a 75 gallon wet dry filter.
I do lots of water changes, but Nitrates still hover at 10-15 ppm. I would occasionally get unexplained fish deaths, which
I suspected were due to Nitrate spikes (because my life delayed water changes). Yes, I know this is bad, and the right way
would be to reduce stocking levels, but I decided to try a denitrator.

I was worried that the ratings for the Korallin Denitrators were for reef tanks, so I was looking
for one oversized. Well, I was able to get a model S-10000 (good for 10k liters, or 2600 gallons)
I thought that would work. lol.. Turns out my fear was unfounded. If I had to do it over, would probably get a smaller one.

How they work: Water is circulated in the reactor chamber, inside the reactor is sulfur which feeds the "good bacteria"
which converts Nitrates to Nitrites to Nitrogen gas. This process also produces some acid, so crushed coral (or simliar media) is
placed in the reactor to balance the pH. Korallin says in the instructions that the amount of coral can be reduced or eliminated if
your tank is softwater or acidic.. I have no idea if this is safe or not, but that's what they say. Anyhow, water enters the reactor, is circulated
through the media to remove Nitrates and then leaves the reactor. There is quite a bit of daily adjustment until your Nitrates get down to almost zero,
but it's really not that bad. If water enters the reactor too fast (too much Nitrate), the reactor largely converts Nitrates to Nitrites. If water does
not enter the reactor fast enough, there's not enough Nitrates for the good bacteria to eat. Other bacteria which produce H2S Hydrogen Sulfide start to grow.
H2s is detoxified with oxygen,so it's not a huge concern to add a little to your tank (you will get some during the
adjustment period), but obviously, you want to keep that at a minimum.

I had a small 300 gph pump in my sump which was pumping water into filter socks. I created a "T" with ball valves on each side of the "T" to regulate the water pressure
going into the reactor. (one part of the T went to filter socks, the other went to the reactor). This is important, because if you have too much pressure in the system, the John Guest valves will leak.
I used 1/4" ice maker tubing as tubing on my Korallin reactor, which worked fine. I began by using standard 1/4" John Guest tubing valves like this.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=36899&catid=956&clickid=searchresults

However, these did not provide the quality of flow control that I needed, so I ordered a needle valve like this for the output:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=32220

The Korallin needle valve supplied works ok, but it's really easy to bump it and change your setting, so I wanted to replace it.

Once the denitrator is setup, they recommend you let the tank water flow through it to help seed the good bacteria. I let mine run for about 2 days, although
some people only recommend a couple of hours. After the initial "Seeding", you need to adjust the flow of the output down to about 1 drip per second.
Every day, you should check on the reactor. The easiest way is to use the degassing valve to fill a cup up with reactor water. Smell it. If it smells like sulfur/rotten eggs,
you probably need to up the flow. Verify by testing the output of the reactor to ensure zero nitrates and zero nitrites. I used the seachem test. An important thing to
note is that I believe the sulfur screws up the nitrate testing a little bit. So make sure you have zero nitrite and zero nitrate.. Don't just do a nitrate test, that
can be misleading! Now, the recommendations say to slowly up the flow, like to 2 drop per second next. I had an oversized reactor, so I got an explosion of good bacteria. I was
upping my flow every day.

Every day, you need to purge the reactor of Nitrogen that has been created. Otherwise the air bubbles will get into your pump. This is why a transparent Dentitrator is good.
You can look in and see if there's any air bubbles. Some of the DIY plans use PVC piping, which makes it more difficult to monitor; this is not a deal breaker though.
It's quite exciting to see all the Nitrogen gas being produced. Then you know things are working.

Eventually, you will notice that there's no more air bubbles being produced. You will probably also notice the sulfur/rotten egg smell, even when a lot of water is being pushed through
the reactor. Test your tank's nitrites and nitrates. If they are very low (below 1), you may need to remove some of the sulfur from your reactor at this time.
My reactor was oversized, so I removed about 80% of the sulfur. I kept all the crushed coral in there. My denitrator only took about 2 weeks to bring nitrites/nitrates below
1 ppm. However, it was oversized. I have read that a typical reactor takes 6-8 weeks to bring the tanks nitrates/nitrites down to near zero. Remember, test both
Nitrites and Nitrates, as the sulfur can confuse some test kits. Also, for the same reason, don't panic if you see the test kit showing Nitrites in your tank. My nitrites
were zero before the Denitrifier. I monitored the output of the reactor to ensure relatively low amounts of Nitrites were being added into my system.

Was it worth it? Heck yea it was. If you have a Monster Tank with a heavy fish load, this is one of the best investments you can make. We have no problem overspending
on oversized pumps, extra biomedia, etc.. I think this money would be better spent on Denitrators (at least in some cases). Right now, I'm pumping about
72 gallons per day through mine, so there's no problem with maintaining a near zero nitrate level (below 1). I will still do water changes, but much
less frequently and fewer gallons per change. (There was a reef guy that was doing water changes 2/week who then successfully went to 1/month after
the denitrator. Big savings in salt for him. Big savings in time for us fresh water people). Could a drip system accomplish basically the same thing?
Yea, it probably could, although with chlorine, I wouldn't want to do 72 gallons/day. Also, with my bad luck, I really didn't want to risk something
going wrong. I'm not saying drip systems are bad, I was just too scared :)

There are plans to DIY one,
This is a good thread on DIYing one, although I think buying a used Calcium reactor and converting it might be a better idea and more economical.
Not sure I trust the way he put this one together, but I worry a lot due to many accidents I've had. Still, very good information here.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1288082

Below is a labled picture of a denitrator. I am going to use it to help explain. A pump sits on top (not pictured)
The pump inlet is a few inches below water level so that the pump does not suck in air bubbles.
Water is pumped down a tube and exits below the media. 1/4" tubing in and out takes water in and out of the reactor.

Ok, long post, but hopefully this is informative. If anyone has any questions, I will check back.

denitrator2.JPG

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I forgot to mention another nice benefit of Denitrators..
No Nitrogen in the tank means no more algae growing on the tank sides :)

I've been running a UV sterilizer for a long time. They work great, but given a choice, I think I'd pick the Denitrator.
I might experiment with turning off the UV and seeing how clear the water is without it.

eldcarolino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2015
philippines
this is so interesting. I have a super overstocked tank with nitrates at about 80-100. tried everything: plants; pothos ; scrubbers, nothing worked. i might give this a try. How much is your denitrator?

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Very interesting.... Never heard of this before ... I will be researching... My biggest concern is every fish keeping bone in my body says adding nitrite to my system is bad- should I be concerned about this housing sensitive species?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HumphreyBear

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Sydney, Australia
The nitrite is an intermediary step to the creation of nitrogen gas and should be consumed pretty quickly if the reactor is well tuned. In the reef keeping world these never really took off as they are fiddly and there are significant concerns over sulphur toxicity if things go badly wrong.

Biopellet reactors are far more common where special dissolvable pellets are tumbled gently. The pellets are the by-product of a bacterial process, where bacteria stores surplus energy as a foam/gunk and this is then harvested and turned into a polymer which is used in the reactors. When tumbled they feed denitrifying bacteria and allow/support an increased density of the bateria which in turn consume more nitrate. The pellets used in marine aquaria are reportedly good in freshwater, though I've not used it on freshwater tanks. Worked a treat o my last reef, and replaced vodka dosing - freeing up the vodka supply for other uses. :naughty:

This video gives a good overview of their usage, skip ahead to the guy with the beard talking. Take note that these can reduce your nitrate levels to very low concentrations which is not good in a reef, I don't know the effect in a freshwater tank.
[video=youtube;9UtgjkEg8EY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UtgjkEg8EY[/video]

These are some great reactors if you are looking for one to buy, but they are pretty easy to make: http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/category/mediareactors and they give a sizing guide (using Escobar's formulas) here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2426978

I've often wondered why these haven't taken off on the often heavily (over)stocked freshwater tanks we see on here.

Cheers,
'Bear

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Great read! I'll definitely have to look more into this.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
What is the sulfer used to feed the reactor? Is it a product you buy or something that we have around the house? Match heads :) I have been doing a lot of reading on this, but this is the fiirst I have seen about a freshwater unit.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I looked into these a while ago , at the time I was worried about pH crashing due to chemical reaction and excessive C02 production ? Then I would have to add a calcium/Alk reactor .... which meant more monitoring of tank that i wanted to do .. Looking forward to following this thread and seeing how it progresses..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store