Sumatran and Borneo (Kalimantan) Locale

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
I have yet to see any shops in this area label any of their dats as "Sumatran".
Can't speak for anywhere outside of Northern CA but most the shops I've gone to bere in the last year label all smaller indos as Sumatran now. 1"ers go for almost $30 in most shops here because of it.

I'm skeptical because I know some stores and wholesalers are privy to the trends, that said I have 4 little, "Sumatrans" myself (would have bought them regardless of the label) and time will tell.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Can't speak for anywhere outside of Northern CA but most the shops I've gone to bere in the last year label all smaller indos as Sumatran now. 1"ers go for almost $30 in most shops here because of it.

I'm skeptical because I know some stores and wholesalers are privy to the trends, that said I have 4 little, "Sumatrans" myself (would have bought them regardless of the label) and time will tell.
Around these parts most shops can't even be bothered to specify which species of datnoid they have in their tanks other than calling them indos.Most of the time they use some colorful trade name and that price is not too far off from what they sell for here.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010

My bichirs in my video Sumatran too

• Haha
Reactions: islandguy11

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
Around these parts most shops can't even be bothered to specify which species of datnoid they have in their tanks other than calling them indos.Most of the time they use some colorful trade name and that price is not too far off from what they sell for here.
Gotcha. After rereading my post I thought maybe I could be more clear about What I said. I think most of the wholesalers a d stores around here that would bring IT in are wise to the Sumatran trend. Because ST are all but priced out of most of our budgets these Sumatrans are the best we can do and shops and sellers know us Dat keepers would fork over more cash for a more stable fish. Less than a year ago the same size data were around $20 and almost always labeled tiger datnoid, now it's hard to find them not labeled Sumatrans at about +$30.

My skepticism is in the difficulty of knowing weather or not this is just a name tagged on to get buyers who've heard or read Sumatrans are the current, "hotness" to bite where they may not have been inclined to do so if they thought that would be an IT we're more accustomed to the last 10 or so years (unstable, brownish, etc).

If someone could correct me I'd be glad to be wrong but I don't know of a reliable way to Identifiy an IT under maybe 3-4" between a more common IT and Sumatran IT. In my experience seeing literally hundreds of baby IT in wholesalers a lot of them can be stable at smaller sizes and it often changes soon as you get them home out of a bare bottom tank filled with other tigers.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Gotcha. After rereading my post I thought maybe I could be more clear about What I said. I think most of the wholesalers a d stores around here that would bring IT in are wise to the Sumatran trend. Because ST are all but priced out of most of our budgets these Sumatrans are the best we can do and shops and sellers know us Dat keepers would fork over more cash for a more stable fish. Less than a year ago the same size data were around $20 and almost always labeled tiger datnoid, now it's hard to find them not labeled Sumatrans at about +$30.

My skepticism is in the difficulty of knowing weather or not this is just a name tagged on to get buyers who've heard or read Sumatrans are the current, "hotness" to bite where they may not have been inclined to do so if they thought that would be an IT we're more accustomed to the last 10 or so years (unstable, brownish, etc).

If someone could correct me I'd be glad to be wrong but I don't know of a reliable way to Identifiy an IT under maybe 3-4" between a more common IT and Sumatran IT. In my experience seeing literally hundreds of baby IT in wholesalers a lot of them can be stable at smaller sizes and it often changes soon as you get them home out of a bare bottom tank filled with other tigers.
There have been a few attempts at describing the differences between the two in past threads.I don't really buy into the whole "Sumatran dat" trend as it is just a marketing ploy in my opinion.I also don't need to purchase anymore dats as I am satisfied with my current group that I have been growing out.

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
There have been a few attempts at describing the differences between the two in past threads.I don't really buy into the whole "Sumatran dat" trend as it is just a marketing ploy in my opinion.I also don't need to purchase anymore dats as I am satisfied with my current group that I have been growing out.
Seems we're more on the same page than not.

Reactions: Matteus

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
In all my years of dat fish photo hunting in fish forums, FB, and blogs. This is the only wild location I found of a Sumatran Island catch location. Do any have a Sumatran one they’d like to share?

48FA4676-F21F-4331-A686-A719D4D1236C.png

irwan

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2008
Indonesia
Hi

Ive been off for a while. I am from Indonesia and i dealt with datz very often in the past.

All i can say be carefull with labelling whether sumatra or borneo. Here in local sumatra is more sought after than borneo, price is higher. Thus many label their borneo as sumatra. Dunno the impact of labelling in europe, japan or us market.

The Price of datz is skyrocketing from the past 4 or 5 years in indonesia caused by greedy exportir who wants to monopoly the datz trade from fishermen. Not mention higher price for 3 and 4 bars, especially clean one. This high demand has the price. Many people now work as fishermen hunting datz in their habitat, giving concern about sustainability of the fish considering datz are still wild caught.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hi

Ive been off for a while. I am from Indonesia and i dealt with datz very often in the past.

All i can say be carefull with labelling whether sumatra or borneo. Here in local sumatra is more sought after than borneo, price is higher. Thus many label their borneo as sumatra. Dunno the impact of labelling in europe, japan or us market.

The Price of datz is skyrocketing from the past 4 or 5 years in indonesia caused by greedy exportir who wants to monopoly the datz trade from fishermen. Not mention higher price for 3 and 4 bars, especially clean one. This high demand has the price. Many people now work as fishermen hunting datz in their habitat, giving concern about sustainability of the fish considering datz are still wild caught.
Wow, that sounds like a possible if not likely repeat of what happened to ST's here in Thailand, and we all know the results of that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store