Sumatran Clown Loaches!

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
We got a shipment of Sumatran Clown Loaches in. Most of the Clown Loaches in trade are from Borneo, and the Sumatran ones are considerably harder to find. They usually exhibit more intense coloration with better background color and cleaner lines. The easiest way to distinguish these from their Bornean counterparts is the pelvic fins. The Bornean fish have a black blotch on the pelvic fins, whereas the Sumatran fish have pelvic fins that are totally orange. On a side note, there are also Clown Loaches native to the Kalimantan region that are reported to have even better colors, but I have never found a photo example and have never seen or heard of them being exported. I'll get some pics in a specimen container when they are acclimated. They are around 1.5-2". I usually avoid the smaller specimens because they frequently have internal parasite issues and are skinny, but these seem healthy and will be in quarantine.

Sumatran Loaches 010609.JPG

Sumatran Loaches 010609-2.JPG

Sumatran Loaches 010609-3.JPG

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Looking forward to updates and comparison pictures...

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Here are some specimen pics, forgive the quality.

First three are the new fish, the last is for compare and contrast. Notice the black blotch on the pelvic fins of the Bornean loaches.

Sumatran Flash.JPG

Sumatran Specimen 1.JPG

Sumatran Specimen 2.JPG

Loach-Orange.JPG

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Most of the Clown Loaches in trade are from Borneo, and the Sumatran ones are considerably harder to find.
Must be a regional thing, as the Sumatran variant is fairly common in these parts. While I'm not 100% positive, this may be a photo showing the Kalimantan variant.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/photos/c/chromobotia_macracanthus_colorful01.jpg/view

Note the deeper, darker red finnage. If those are indeed loaches collected from the Kalimantan district, I prefer the Sumatran strain by far.

Either way, nice grab ewurm.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
you ship :D

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Did you take any of those little fellas home?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
RD.;2621229; said:
Must be a regional thing, as the Sumatran variant is fairly common in these parts. While I'm not 100% positive, this may be a photo showing the Kalimantan variant.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/photos/c/chromobotia_macracanthus_colorful01.jpg/view

Note the deeper, darker red finnage. If those are indeed loaches collected from the Kalimantan district, I prefer the Sumatran strain by far.

Either way, nice grab ewurm.
I believe the Kalimantan specimens also have red pelvic fins. I'll try and find the info I read.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store