Sump or trickle wet/dry

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Is it just the sun or is your test card sun bleached duanes?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The card is bleached out by the Panamanian sun.
Under normal circumstances I would have bought a new kit about a month ago, but the Covid isolation of the island is making that difficult.
Just getting groceries can be a challenge, much less non-essentials like fish stuff.
Women are allowed out of their yard 3 days per week, men sometimes only 2, and only 3 for hours on those days. Masks are the law.
To do actual shopping in the city, a permit must be acquired from the islands mayor, and because there are only 2 ferry's per week, one on each gender day, its quite the hassle.
I laugh when I hear about people in the states complaining about loss of freedoms.
But I must admit the isolation has had a real positive side. Although there are 64,000 cases of Covid in mainland Panama,
Taboga (my island) is Covid free at the moment

Reactions: fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’m assuming there is a reason to only let one gender out at a time, do you happen to know the reason?

jjohnwm

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The men and women have been confined together at home for a considerable length of time.

The separation of the genders at "free" time is to allow the men a chance to get a word in edgewise...and without being wrong! :lipsseale :lipsseale::nilly:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The men and women have been confined together at home for a considerable length of time.

The separation of the genders at "free" time is to allow the men a chance to get a word in edgewise...and without being wrong! :lipsseale :lipsseale::nilly:
This may have some truth to this, although the official reason is to keep as few people coming into close contact as possible, and or having casual conversational groups. Here is Panama (especially in the city) people are very close proximity,and a little away time is probably a good thing.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I like trickle filters with bio balls. The bioballs are engineered to break up streams of water down to drops of water in a trickle filter. Submerged bioballs are no better than any other media... it actually has less surface area in most cases. A trickle filter will maximize the air / water surface area which promotes great oxygenation and off gassing.

Using all submerged media is also fine, just make sure you have enough air to oxygenate the water. Putting an airstone under your submerged bags of media is a nice way to provide plenty of oxygen.

Reactions: tlindsey

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Have 180 predrilled acrylic. I have a trigger sump with a protein skimmer plumber to it. Should I use with a bio media or change over to wet/dry trickle with bio balls? Fish will be predator type, so a decent bio load. Thanks for the input
The downside of a wet/dry trickle filter is keeping the bioballs wet during a power outage. I used to just add more water to the tank during a power outage to keep the bioballs wet. It worked OK if I was home when the power went out. I worried about the power going out when I was out of town for a few days. Solved that problem with a whole house generator.

Thanks for the input.What are your thoughts on protein skimmer with freshwater. Never used one before for fresh. Only reason for contemplating it is because it's already plumbed to the sump?
Most protein skimmers are designed to work with salt water systems. Clarity has two protein skimmer/foam fractionators made for fresh water--the Clarity CL-3 and the CL-10. These are usually used on koi ponds. Sounded very interesting to me. I plan to run a CL-3 off my sump tank

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store