Sump Position and flow rate

Finster90

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2022
I will attach a picture with what im talking about. I'm getting a 350 set up 8x3x2 tank. Unfortunately my 125 doesn't fit under the tank itself and I don't wanna go out and buy a 100 gallon or what now while I have a spare 125.. could I position the sump too the right of my tank and have the inlet run all the way across the tank underneath and in the sump? Or is that too far of a run. I had too drill holes on each side so one side has a 2.5 Inch hole. Buy my concern would be is that too far of a run for water too travel too the sump??

2. Question.. I have holes drilled at 2.5 inch so figure my piping will be about 1.5 inches.. what GPH return pump should I get? I'm confused on that as I don't wanna suck more then it's putting into the sump of course

1000007893.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I position my sump to the right of my main tank, there is no hard and fast rule that says a sump needs to be directly under the tank, hidden away in a cabinet.
I position the water that enters the tank on the left end because it's drilled on the right, so the current flows in a riverine way across the length of the tank, for riverine species.
And because I like aquatic plants i want my sump visible to enjoy ythe aesthetics of those plants.
IMG_3169.jpeg
And as you can see, I get to use gravity because the main tank is on a stand, the sump sits lower on blocksIMG_5317.jpegIMG_3593.jpeg.
80% of the sumps is planted and also contains a clean up crew of snail, shrimp, and even a Pleco, to grab any flood that overflows, and help break down detritus for better use as food for the plants.
IMG_3595.jpeg
IMG_4289.jpeg
IMG_2077.jpeg
There is a small section which contains mechanical, and traditional bio filtration, and the pump, but it, and some pf the plumbing (PVC) are mostly camouflaged by the dieffenbachia plants
IMG_8951.jpegIMG_8812.jpeg
IMG_3720.jpeg

Finster90

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2022
I position my sump to the right of my main tank, there is no hard and fast rule that says a sump needs to be directly under the tank, hidden away in a cabinet.
I position the water that enters the tank on the left end because it's drilled on the right, so the current flows in a riverine way across the length of the tank, for riverine species.
And because I like aquatic plants i want my sump visible to enjoy ythe aesthetics of those plants.
View attachment 1537404
And as you can see, I get to use gravity because the main tank is on a stand, the sump sits lower on blocksView attachment 1537407View attachment 1537405.
80% of the sumps is planted and also contains a clean up crew of snail, shrimp, and even a Pleco, to grab any flood that overflows, and help break down detritus for better use as food for the plants.
View attachment 1537411
View attachment 1537409
View attachment 1537408
There is a small section which contains mechanical, and traditional bio filtration, and the pump, but it, and some pf the plumbing (PVC) are mostly camouflaged by the dieffenbachia plants
View attachment 1537412View attachment 1537413
View attachment 1537414
That's incredible! So I would have no issue with water traveling that far and pouring into my sump. Right like me, I have 2 holes on each side of the tank one of the left side and one on the right, none in the back, so I will plumb under my tank all the way across and have my return pumped back right into the closer side

As for return I'm not sure on a pump at all! I'm not sure how these convertions work!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store