Sump set up

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi all

Got this sump and would like to get a moving bed set up in one of the chambers. Sump not that big though, 120 cm long but only around 36 cm back to front and I guess around 25 cm of water depth looking at the witness marks of where water has been in it before.
Do you think a moving bed with K1 or K3 is possible and if so which chamber?
Thanks

Sump.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hi all

Got this sump and would like to get a moving bed set up in one of the chambers. Sump not that big though, 120 cm long but only around 36 cm back to front and I guess around 25 cm of water depth looking at the witness marks of where water has been in it before.
Do you think a moving bed with K1 or K3 is possible and if so which chamber?
Thanks

View attachment 1389192
Could try k1 micro media. Smaller but I haven’t tried it. It try it in the 2nd chamber. Make sure there are some sponge/filter at the bottom outlet/inlet. 6AABEB41-7AC8-4860-8F6D-A6D99280B592.jpeg

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I would not do a moving bed in that sump. You could do one and make one work but I do not see a significant benefit in doing so. Get a bubble disk, bubble wand or a few bubble stones. Put them at the bottom of one or more of the compartments and pile bags of your preferred bio media on top of them. In my experience this would be just as effective with a lot less trouble and a lot less noise.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
Get a bubble disk, bubble wand or a few bubble stones. Put them at the bottom of one or more of the compartments and pile bags of your preferred bio media on top of them. In my experience this would be just as effective with a lot less trouble and a lot less noise.
this is what I did and I recommend also! plus if you have a power outage you can use a battery powered air pump to save your BB and avoid a huge potential headache.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store