Sunshine pleco?

DarkOne

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
NJ
Take a picture of their bellies. White will be L253, spotted is L48
Heh. I tried 3 times to get a pic of its belly in the dip'n'pour but couldn't get a clear shot so I gave up. Its belly is white/grayish and not spotted.

I'm wondering if I should return them or just keep them. I really wanted L014s.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
J jaws7777

They look sunshine to me.
I could never tell the difference between sunshine and L253 and i had both in the same tank at the same time lol

Reactions: Backfromthedead

DarkOne

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
NJ
From what I can tell, L014 are more yellow and coloring on the tips/leading edges of their fins. L253 have darker bodies.

Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
Definitely a Scobinancistrus: https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/genus.php?genus_id=73#4580

Scobins with yellows are the 253 and the 014
Definitely not an L014 as they have a yellow laminate on their tail, dorsal and fins.
253 lack the laminates, have lots of spots when compared to other Scobins and have hints of yellow around its body

Your first batch of photos makes the fish look like it has yellows but the second batch of photos makes the fish look more black and white.
If they are actually yellow in person, you can assume it is a 253, which is a very rare pleco (congrats).

However, if you can confirm that they are not yellow in person, I would presume that they are an L048. 048 is another scobin that is the second most commonly imported scobin (behind L014) which would be a lot more possible to mistake for a 14; as opposed to mistaking a 253 for a 14, which is a much more expensive and rare fish.

It also could be an L082, another scobin, but those guys have very flat bodies which I do not think yours would fit the bill.

Goggy

Reactions: Raka and DarkOne

DarkOne

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2019
NJ
The first pics were when I first got them so they were showing stress colors. The LFS just got them in the day before and didn't look much different in their tanks and I took their word that it was a L014. It was only after having them in my QT for a few days did they get darker but my QT is painted black on the back and bottom. The spots are definitely yellow. The lights over the tank aren't very good so I brought over a spare light to get better pics.

I'm guessing from the info I've gathered (thanks mostly to you guys here) that they're L253.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
Heh. I tried 3 times to get a pic of its belly in the dip'n'pour but couldn't get a clear shot so I gave up. Its belly is white/grayish and not spotted.

I'm wondering if I should return them or just keep them. I really wanted L014s.
Hey, I just wanted to say that if I were you and the fish really are 253, I would totally be celebrating and choose to keep the fish. L253 is a very clean looking fish when they become adults they get thousands of small spots on a totally black body with yellow hints on their fins and bellies. They are definitely my favorite Scobinancistrus and are rare in the hobby.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
+1 on this. You may prefer L014 but L253 is still a beautiful pleco and a nice pick up.
I would just enjoy them and not be to concerned.
Just an excuse to add another to the collection.:naughty:

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I could never tell the difference between sunshine and L253 and i had both in the same tank at the same time lol
I believe you had adult fish.
They look a lot alike once they get their adult colors and tiny dots.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store