Super fast cycling....is it possible?

Bawb2u

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
MA
I'm going to go against what most people here say and tell you not to worry to much about cycling it. Big tanks are a lot more forgiving than small tanks. If you do regular water changes with a fairly small bio-loadyou'll be diluting ammonia and won't have a dangerous buildup, so while it'll take longer for your tank to be fully cycled, you'll never get high enough ammonia or nitrites to harm your fish.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Bawb2u;1848320;1848320 said:
I'm going to go against what most people here say and tell you not to worry to much about cycling it. Big tanks are a lot more forgiving than small tanks. If you do regular water changes with a fairly small bio-loadyou'll be diluting ammonia and won't have a dangerous buildup, so while it'll take longer for your tank to be fully cycled, you'll never get high enough ammonia or nitrites to harm your fish.
yes, this is also possible. keep a few fish, do constant water changes (every other day when ammonia starts building up), and the fish should survive the cycling process. i wouldnt try it with expensive fish though.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
How big are your Aro and the fish you are going to put in there?
If they are large and you're putting them into a tank that you cycled with a few small goldfish, then the bacteria will have their work cut out for them once your Aro is put in. You'll end up with spikes.

But like Bawb said, since the tank is large, you'll have more room for error and you could potentially make up for that with frequent water changes until its cycled.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
In my old 120g, I remember throwing in media from an Eheim 2217 and a couple buckets of water from an established tank. This happened on Thursday. By Saturday afternoon I had a pair of motoro rays and a trio of widebar dats in the tank. Never had a problem.

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
When I moved to a 210 from my 120, I just took my canister and two HOB filters from the 120 and added them to the second canister and 3rd HOB I bought and my 210. It cycled instantly. No water from previous tanks are necessary as the water is not where the bacteria is held. Provided the the existing media has enough beneficial bacteria to handle the bio-load instant cycles do happen.

redturq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2008
Los Angeles
It also took me about 8 days the last time I cycled my tank. Afterwards I installed the 2nd filter from an establish tank 2 days after I dump the Arowana. Just in case, to help out with the new bioload. I dont understand why people dump old water to the new Tank. I believe its not necessary.

cichlids _killer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2008
northside of da chi
i dunno but my 210 gallon with some old filter pad ( from my 75 w/d) its been cycle for that last 3 weeks last time i check
ammonia 2ppm
nitrite 1ppm
nitrate 50ppm
so good luck with your tank ..i'll let my tank cycle more till is done

AroKing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2008
Australia
I have to agree with you guys
i think my new tank is not fully cycled and prob cannot take a big bioload
i have 1 aro 40cm, 18 KKP all about 15-20cm and one flagtail 25 cm

i just thought it was interesting how i never saw an ammonia spike and just a brief nitrite reading......

i think i will put the kkp in first.........difficult to get pure ammonia here

thanks guys

will keep you posted

OscartheGrouch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Boston
Better be safe than sorry and take it a bit slower. You don't need the headaches of dealing with ammonia spikes afterwards. If you can hook up your established filters to the tank, that's probably the best and fastest way to go. I did a no fish cycle on my 180G tank using ammonia in less than 2 weeks and I would highly recommend it if you're starting off with new tank and filter media. It established enough BB for any bioload you can throw at it. Try looking for the ammonia in a hardware store. They're often diluted but you can always add more. It is very important that it has not additives though. A simple shake test will do. Bubbles should last only a second or 2 after a shake in pure or diluted solutions. You don't need a pine fresh tank. :) Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store