super red monkey diagram

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
Hello. I'm new here. There is almost no information on how to make the Super Red Monkey. Using the available information, I created the following diagram. What will be the thoughts?

1.JPG

Reactions: RD. and Magnus_Bane

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
That is a good looking chart. I think you are on the right track for the red shock synspilum, but I have doubts on the super red monkey.

My belief is that super red monkeys have a significant amount of flowerhorn in them. Unfaded ones will often show a partial flowerline and pearling, that both are minimized once the fish fades. Young SRM also show amphilophus barring and look a lot like a juvenile red devil/ midas and not at all like young viejas. The recipe might be as simple as breeding a zz flowerhorn over a blood parrot, but it could be a lot more complicated than that.

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
That is a good looking chart. I think you are on the right track for the red shock synspilum, but I have doubts on the super red monkey.

My belief is that super red monkeys have a significant amount of flowerhorn in them. Unfaded ones will often show a partial flowerline and pearling, that both are minimized once the fish fades. Young SRM also show amphilophus barring and look a lot like a juvenile red devil/ midas and not at all like young viejas. The recipe might be as simple as breeding a zz flowerhorn over a blood parrot, but it could be a lot more complicated than that.
Thank you for message. On the one website of a Thai farm, in the comments to the SRM photo, there was a dispute between a Thai breeder and the owner of a red monkey about the identification of the fish. The Thai breeder gave several reasons that the photograph is not SRM, but a red kamfa fader. The designated criteria of the real SRM (they are solid red in color, without pearling, have a wide and not elongated body shape and yellow eyes, not white) allowed me to conclude that the FH/Cichlasoma trimaculatum gene is absent in the SRM genome.

In my opinion SRM is an effective combination of the vieja/redsyn and KKP genes.
I have had experience with hybridizing FH x KKP. The resulting red kamfa fader had many signs of red devil/midas:

FH x KKP cross No. 1 Father FH fader, son No. 1 red kamfa fader (blue eyes); son No. 2 red devil/midas like hybrid (red eyes).

№105.jpg

№36.JPG

№96.JPG

kjasonh1

Feeder Fish
Aug 28, 2019
Hello. I'm new here. There is almost no information on how to make the Super Red Monkey. Using the available information, I created the following diagram. What will be the thoughts?

View attachment 1425843
I have a female SRM(had for almost 2 years and has laid eggs multiple times) and a 12" male Amphilophus Citrinellus (Midas). The Midas could be a midevil because I don't know it's bloodline specifically. I just picked up the Midas a few days ago. Once the Midas has quarantined for about a month and I feel comfortable he's doing well, I plan to introduce the SRM to the Midas and see if they pair/bond. Would you expect some of the offspring to turn out with the SRM look? I want a nice male SRM, but as I'm sure you know, they are hard to come by and expensive. I can find them here or there smaller(still expensive) and you aren't guaranteed they will fade and definitely not guaranteed that if they fade, they will fade all the way or will get to the deep red color that is most desirable as opposed to the washed out red/pink/peach color they can fade to. I plan on trying to breed the two no matter what, but wanted to know your thoughts on the outcome. I attached pics of them both.

00m0m_fYRvIivomfaz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

20200503_145031.jpg

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
I have a female SRM(had for almost 2 years and has laid eggs multiple times) and a 12" male Amphilophus Citrinellus (Midas). The Midas could be a midevil because I don't know it's bloodline specifically. I just picked up the Midas a few days ago. Once the Midas has quarantined for about a month and I feel comfortable he's doing well, I plan to introduce the SRM to the Midas and see if they pair/bond. Would you expect some of the offspring to turn out with the SRM look? I want a nice male SRM, but as I'm sure you know, they are hard to come by and expensive. I can find them here or there smaller(still expensive) and you aren't guaranteed they will fade and definitely not guaranteed that if they fade, they will fade all the way or will get to the deep red color that is most desirable as opposed to the washed out red/pink/peach color they can fade to. I plan on trying to breed the two no matter what, but wanted to know your thoughts on the outcome. I attached pics of them both.

View attachment 1446380

View attachment 1446381
I may be wrong, but when crossing Amphilophus Citrinellus x SRM you will not get posterity similar to SRM. Yes, the Amphilophus Citrinellus fader gene allows some individuals will change color, but their genome will significantly reduce the number of genes from the vieja, thanks to which the unique shape of the red monkey is obtained. In one of the pet stores in Thailand, I met an unusual fish. In the photo, the male is very similar to the Vieja hybrid, I asked the shop assistant, it turned out that it was unfaded red monkey. In any case, your Amphilophus Citrinellus x SRM cross will provide material for further discussion. Good luck.

45.png

46.png

Reactions: RD. and Magnus_Bane

kjasonh1

Feeder Fish
Aug 28, 2019
I'll try and update once I get some juveniles with some potential, but it will likely be a while. I'm excited to try though. Thanks for the response. That's an interesting looking hybrid you posted pics of. It must have been fun visiting Thailand. I hope to one day visit myself.

Prathyosh

Feeder Fish
Jun 23, 2022
Hi I have a SRM Flowerhorn but am not sure this is SRM Flowerhorn or other american cichlid.... he is around 8 inches in size. can u guys please help me in finding this??? If this Flowerhorn is SRM then will it fade or this is the permanent colour?

Screenshot_20220623_173849.jpg

Screenshot_20220623_173839.jpg

Screenshot_20220623_173835.jpg

Screenshot_20220623_173828.jpg

Screenshot_20220623_173825.jpg

Screenshot_20220623_173803.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store